Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a chi book (Chihuahua for Dummies) that chis without a soft spot are not purebred. :shock: Is this true? My Yoshi does not have a soft spot. I got him at 3 mo. and he didn't have one then. I love him purebred or not, just interested in the facts. TIA

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well , you Chi might well have had a soft spot before you got him.
Some Chi's have big moleras and some have small. Some close up all the way and some don't . SO... in otherwords... Not true.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking too. It said that those with the soft spot usually keep it and it ends up nickle or dime size. He looks all chi to me. Definitely acts like one! :lol:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
That is right not true.....in fact the opposite I think. I can't find one on Kemo, poor dog I can't tell you how many times I have pushed on his head looking for it..... :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
barbie has a huge soft spot! Very scary because their brains are like right there. Now she is 6.5 months and it's smaller but not gone. It scares me. So be glad you can't find it. If someone were to accidentaly kick (eeek!). I pray that it closes up. The Vet told me from the get-go to BE VERY CAREFUL. I wonder if their sizes have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Yep, yep, that's not true...The Chihuahua Handbook written by this doctor lady also says that at some point Chis without moleras had questionable bloodlines but now "they" have agreed that the molera IS a characteristic of the breed but not THE characteristic that defines it. For short, Chis with or without moleras can be purebred! :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am glad he doesn't have one. Soft spots are scary. I remember worrying about my kids' pulsating soft spots when they were babies :roll:

PS Yoshismama and Yoshis Mom are both me! I needed to reregister when my username/password,etc. refused to work a while back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Man I wish my pups didn't have it but all three have it. Dodge who is 10 wks old has the biggest one, TinkerBelles is a bit smaller but very there. And now Blossom has one too I would say she has it just like TinkerBelle. It really is scary I always worried because their bed was a bit tall for them so they would get on but fall as they were getting off. Blossom is way smaller so she falls all the time I put her carrier in the room next to the bed but shes in there for a while then when I go check on her she is on the bed.I really dont know how she gets up there lol. She is tiny.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Harley has one too, most *tinier* chihuahuas have the smaller moleras. So usually when it is a bigger one it means they are going to be tiny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts