Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard or read somewhere that all chihuahuas are born with a soft spot on their heads, just like human babies...
is it true that if its kind of large, it can be considered a birth defect, even if it closes up?

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
paris still has a molera and i think it's going to last .......
cosmo doesn't have a molera.........in general the smaller ones still have their molera :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought so! i have a friend that is a vet tech and i made a comment about eventually possibly finding someone with a female chi that wanted puppies and breeding him for a pick of the litter...ANYways...she said (dramatically) "Oh no, you don't want to breed him, he has a birth defect..." and so forth, first off, i was VERY offended (i am very protective of sonny and what people say about him) and secondly, i didn't believe her at all, because i thought all chis had them. sonny's was pretty big, but it is closing up a lot

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she does not breed, which is good...
Not that I want to breed sonny, i just thought if someone with a good female wanted puppies, we would try it just once...and maybe get the pick of the litter for our next dog..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Seiah has a big molera. And it hasn't seemed to start closing yet. The vet said that it probably wouldn't for him. Sometimes I'll rest my hand on his head and can fell a pulse...it's CRAZY :D :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Don't worry about the molera, just be very careful about dropping her since even minor head trauma can cause major damage for these little ones. For some reason, apple heads seem to be more prone to large moleras than deer heads possibly due to the way the growth plate develops as they age (extends further along the axis on a deer head). It's not a birth defect, it's part of a chi's genetic make-up, and while it can pose a greater risk in terms of head trauma or hydroencephalopathy, etc... if you are diligent and know about the problem, you won't have any unexpected problems =)

I've got a soft spot too, but it's a little lower, and it's really soft for chihuahuas!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi has one. i don't let anyone pet her head lol i'm one of those paranoid moms. i was even freaky and paranoid with my daughters when she was an infant!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Poppy is an apple head and her molera was quite large when I got her at 10 weeks.Now she is just over 7 months old and it has almost closed..its about the size of a pea now... :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Frasier still has his at 6 months. He's big too - over 7 lbs. It's smaller than a dime - maybe pea-sized. I cringe every time he crashes into the cat or bumps the wall. I wonder if it's ever gonna close.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, thanks for all the confident replies! My friend just finished school and sometimes she likes to think she is the authority on all dogs. I knew I had read it, and I am sure Sonny would be fine to breed if we decided to. I called her and said "Sonny is NOT defective! :x
:lol: Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i read somewhere that a long time ago, they used to think that if the dog wasn't born with a soft spot it wasn't a full chihuahua. can't remember where i read that though. of course everyone knows better now as far as the soft spot goes :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
ilovesadie said:
I've got a soft spot too, but it's a little lower, and it's really soft for chihuahuas!
I love that Nate - how sweet. I think I have the same soft spot as you do for Chihuahuas! And it beats faster when I am around my little guy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts