Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new pups soft spot is absolutely enormous! It probably the size of a dime and it seems like it splits all the way down both sides of her head. I wish i could draw a picture of what it feels like but i dont think i can. hopefully you guys understand but is this bad or life threatening?

·
Registered
9 Posts
depending on how large the soft spot is it could be hydrocephalus. Which means that he may have excessive fluid around the brain causing pressure and strain to his brain and not allowing his skull to fully developed. If this is the case there are medical procedures that can be done in order to help him . But this in only in a VERY extreme case. I would suggest watching him closely over the next month or so and if you do not notice any substantial changes then consult with your vet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
my boy had a huge soft spot too. just be careful with his head and make sure he doesn't run into walls head first. mine did that and i freaked but he was ok. i've heard on here that a more apple shaped head usually has a bigger molera. it should close up soon just be careful with them jumping off furniture and things like that and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: It is COMPLETELY NORMAL for chihuahuas to have a soft spot or MOLERA..it can be big or small and it closes with time or it never does...is does not mean your dog is sick or less of a chihuahua...like I said is normal and if you do a search on the net or on the forum you'll see that unless he hits himself pretty bad..and I mean PRETTY BAD..you have nothing to worry about... :wink:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
My little girl had a huge molera too as a puppy but now at 10 months it has completely closed.Some do, others dont, but its very common and as long as you are careful it shouldnt be a problem :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts