Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 5 year old dachshund who is getting a bit lazy. I'd like to get a companion for him and I was wondering if a chihuahua would be a good fit. He is a standard (19 pounds) dachshund who has had things his own way since I rescued him at age 2.

Do anyone know how a chihuahua and a weiner would get along?

Thank you,

Joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think it would very much depend on the personality of the two dogs as to whether they would get along. Our 8 year old labrador is great with little Bean. Perhaps find a breeder that would be happy for your dog and the chi to have a trial period or at least a few opportunities to meet to see how your dog reacts. Good luck :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi There,
Calista has a doggy friend who is a mini Dax!! They adore each other!
But, as with people... not everyone will get along.
I would make sure you introduce them and have a couple of play sessions before bringing a new dog home!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Welcome to Chi People! Perhaps you could take your dog to meet the new potential friend. Always best on neutral territory first. :cool:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Have you considered looking at your local humane society or other shelter? There are many chis of all ages and sizes and most shelters allow you to bring your doggy in for a meet n greet in a room together with the doggy you are interested in.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Has he been around any other dogs since you got him? If he likes other dogs already you'll probably be okay but I agree with the others best to let him meet the new dog first. And he may accept a puppy more readily than an adult dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts