Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I am having some difficulties crate training. The only nights she doesn't howl or cry is when she sleeps in our room with the crate. Which is fine, if we weren't training her!

I know to start small with times. Like 10 to 15 seconds. But what if she gets noisy before time is up? What should I do?

She usually doesn't last 3 seconds without making any noise though :( So we're not making progress. Probably because we're so confused, what do we do if for example: leave her for 5 minutes, but within those 5 minutes she won't stop being noisy. When the 5 minutes is up, what do we do if she is still noisy? We keep the pen in the laundry room so we essentially walk in and out of the room. So if the 5 minutes is up and she is still being noisy, do we still walk in the room, or no? I don't know if I'm reinforcing her for bad behaviour if we all just walk in.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Only enter the room when she is quiet. Leave again if she starts to make noise. Chi's are very clever, she will catch on really quickly if you are consistent. I wouldn't worry about timing at the moment, just go in and praise her if she is quiet. Remember to make the crate a den not a prison, make it a nice safe place for her to be, and add a chewy stick or toys to keep her busy. Try only putting her in the crate when she is tired too. Tired puppies don't have the energy to howl! So make sure you play with her and get her to use up her energy before a crate training session.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts