Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bad: I'm becoming increasingly more depressed by the day about my stupid job. I hate hearing "be glad you have one" because everytime I offer it surprisingly no one wants it. I work in a drugstore as a cosmetician and the things they ask of me are getting outlandish. My boss and I don't see eye-to-eye so it's been basically me going through the motions with my job pretending to be a productive employee, dealing with all the cattiness from coworkers which I can't stand, and coming home sad frequently. I try to hide it from my partner because his response is usually: Quit and find a new job, all you've done for the last 2 years is be upset about your job. Ugh, i'm not a quitter, and I never have been it's hard for me to just quit something i've started. Jobs included.

The part that I find difficult to stomach is that i'm particularly "underqualified" as in, i've worked constantly since I moved out 3 years ago and i've worked up the chain in my 2 jobs, but as far as actual credentials go I lack.

The good: Godrics THK arrived today so he'll be getting a treat shortly.

Sorry my bad outweighs my good, I'm just having a crummy day and having a hard time shaking it.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I would have to agree with your boyfriend and say find a new job. There's nothing worse than being miserable at work when you spend a good part of your life there. Start looking!! :D
And by the way, I know it's hard to find one, I really don't have any college background or anything. I am a cosmetologist and haven't worked in years. Stayed home raising my family, and my husband works so many hours that if i work then my kids would be alone. So that is not an option. I am getting ready to start daycare. I will have 1 or 2 babies. Decent money and I get to still be home doing what i need.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'm sorry Amanda. :(

I think if your job makes you that sad, maybe you should consider a change. Things that continually make us sad and down aren't healthy or productive. It can effect your life in all areas, not just at work. It doesn't make you a quitter because you can't get along with the people you work with. Some times personalities just aren't a match. Don't be hard on yourself. Do some soul searching, and decide what you think is right. I think your partner telling you to quit and find something new is his way of trying to help. Really, that sounds like the only answer, unless you are able to find a way to not let these things eat at you. Again, I'm sorry that you are having a tough time. :( I hope things start looking up very soon. (((Hugs)))

My suggestion to make you feel better tonight is: A warm bath, back massage from honey, playing with the pups, maybe a foot rub, a good movie cuddled up with honey, and some popcorn. Maybe a nice glass of wine……

Chin up. Things will get better.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cheryl, i'm glad you can at least relate I know I really need to find a new job but everything that isn't retail-hell is "requires 2-3 years experience" etc. And i'm pretty young so, that isn't really an option you know?

The way we're working out is that my boyfriend is finishing college, to graduate in 2012 and since his schooling is 100% paid for we're just working to live and i'm waiting till he graduates to start so we wont have to take out loans. Everyone says it's my fault that i'm underqualified because I don't go to school but we're trying to be smart.

Just a conundrum I suppose.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you T, I know what the answer is and that's to move on to something else. It's not like I don't get along with my coworkers, I just find it increasingly hard to meet their demands for my compensation. That being said, I'm not paid well enough to go to work be a beck-and-call and take my stress from work home.

I'm just going to have to really start looking. Being sad all the time isn't an option anymore.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and a side note. Godric got his first taste of THK I hope he "tolerates" it well he inhaled it at least without even thinking of the taste.

Gary says I shouldn't have switched him because his poop was "normal" but he is never home to see the terrifying poo!

Godric is licking his bowl clear across the kitchen.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I know how you feel... I actually recently quit my job because I was feeling under-appreciated/taken advantage of. I always seem to put in waaaaay more effort than is needed and I DO NOT reap the benefits... I feel so much better having left the place that used to employ me. Fortunately, my husband is working and I am in the position to be a stay-at-home-puppy-mommy, but who knows how long that will last. I am getting kind of bored already, and have been talking with the chi's vet about helping out part-time there.
It's hard "quitting something you've started", but if you're truly unhappy and it's on your mind all the time, I strongly suggest making a change. If you can afford to take a pay cut from what you're making now to do something that is a little more comfortable for the time-being, I think the benefits outweigh the pay cut.

Or even if just talking to us about your terrible day of work helps (I know our OH's don't ALWAYS want to listen to gripes and grumbles) we're always here to help. You're not alone, and talking it out feels good.

Hang in there. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Glad Godric enjoyed his THK. I don't see it being a bad change in diet at all, so good for you for making the switch. Ignore your boyfriend. lol. Is there an option that Gretel could stomach, too, with her allergies?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darcie that's pretty much what happens. I put in 115% because that's what i'm asked and I get appreciated for 35% of it.

Everyday i'm expected to make commission quotas, and if I don't I get degraded every morning when the numbers from the day before come out which really sets the tone for the day. Even though I may not have made sales because of other misc projects my boss had me working on.

I've spent countless hours making posters, organizing photoshoots, and fliers, and organizing awareness projects for our Flu-Shot program, and today I spent the first 6 hours of my shift promoting it and someone had the audacity to gripe at me over something trivial, then after I acknowledge them, gripe to a manager to correct me? Really? Are we that petty?

My OH is supportive, I just hate that he goes to school full time and works a job full time job too it makes me feel childish.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gretel MAY make the switch I haven't decided. She's doing well on Wellness and I was always told if it's not broke don't fix it, so i'm going to see how he adjusts before I swap them both.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Amanda, I'm seriously going through the same thing as you babe. Been at my job for 2 years, night shift clerk at a poor quality hotel. Owner just wants money, the maids all need to be fired because they complain and dont clean the rooms properly, and management needs an upgrade. The past couple of months I've noticed I get so depressed and angry when I have to go to work...just the dreadful feeling of sitting in that office and dealing with picky people who want a cheap room but expect to be treated like they're at the Hilton.

I say we both move on and find employers who will appreciate us!!!
*hugs*

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for relating.

I feel bad complaining, I know there are a lot of people out of work right now that really need/want it, but there are just as many lazy people collecting checks while we work these mediocre jobs where we're under appreciated.

I used to tell myself I wasn't applying for other jobs because I deserved more than a retail job, which I still think I do, but why suffer at this one. Bleh.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'm in the same boat as both of you gals, Amanda and Crystal. I took the job when I moved here a year ago so my fiance (now hubby) wouldn't have to pay for everything for me (which he would have done). The worst part is now I don't *need* to work but it feels impossible to leave my job because they make me feel like I owe it to them to be there.... It will take me 1-2 months to properly train someone new and the other two people I work with are emotionally draining, exhausting, and immature and incapable at life in general not to mention the job. I try to wish I am exaggerating but they are RIDICULOUS. I am the ONLY one in our office with a college degree not to mention valuable work experience, but I get paid the least, and constantly have piles of crap on my desk to do that are really their job. My boss has basically given me "everything" that was her job and still takes credit for it, doesn't step up and do certain things that are absolutely HER responsibility, etc. And god, I know so much about her personal life I could tell you her favorite sex position. It really makes me sick. The other girl is a closet anorexic, obsessed with her body, and insecure. That's all fine, I know its easier said than done to fix it, but don't put it on me, I know its a struggle and have had many friends struggle with it, but I don't want you chirping across my desk at me every time I take a bite of something just how many calories were in it. I constantly am not allowed to take my lunch break which I am not paid for, and often work longer hours than I am paid for unpaid. The worst part is they want to be this tight click of little friends (only 3 of us work there) and I will just say up front I have no interest. They are emotionally instable and its bad enough dealing with that at work. I'm so tired of being given their crap to do, working hours I'm not paid for, and being their bitch running petty little errands. I've set my quit bu date for January 31st because no matter how much I like the $$ (which isn't good!), I am miserable and unhappy and its affecting my life outside of work and just not worth it.

I wish I had good words of advice but I'm scared to quit and so I just wanted to commiserate LOL.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kristi i'm just glad i'm not the only one going home with tension headaches from my job.
**edit - not glad anyone has a miserable job, just glad to know i'm not alone.

When I moved here I worked in a video store for over 2 years as a clerk until it closed and I LOVED it, seriously the tightest knit of friends, only 5 of us working there, and I literally didn't ever dread work, the pay was horrible but I was happy and there was never drama. And it spoiled me I guess, I always hoped i'd find something similar but it seems there will always be insane people dragging everyone down for whatever reason.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I just wish I had an easier way out. They are going to flip their ****. The last person who had my job was there for 9 years cuz she was kind of trapped. I feel like they think i will be there that long too. Its been over a year, I don't like it, so ugh. I just don't know what i will say and my lame boss will start crying not because she's sad I'm leaving but because of the inconvenience to her and her actually having to work again.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's horrible, my boss cares more about her well-being than anyone elses as well. :(

I actually saw an office clerk position i'm working on my resume for at the moment. Trying to stand out is the hard part, seems like you have to know someone you know.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
*hugs* Kristi; I know you've been hating your job too.
I have a test on Saturday for a job at the DMV and I SO hope I get it. If I don't, it will absolutely crush me and I will definitely start thinking about focusing back on school completely and just quit my job. The ONLY thing that has stopped me from quitting months ago is the fact that our rent is $1000 and I pay $300. I live in a very big farming area and Lettuce Season happens twice a year..the hotels here get bombarded with loud, messy, dirty workers who have no respect at all for people, especially women...hooting and hollering at them. Another season will be coming up in the spring and I DON'T plan to be here.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The stupidest thing is I don't know why I can't just leave! I was staying before so I could pay off a credit card I had but that's been done for awhile now and I just am terrified to leave but I absolutely hate it :-/

I wouldn't want to be at a hotel working either when lettuce workers came in hootin' and hollaring. I hope we BOTH get up the gumption to quit.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh guys this sounds awful I was inthe same boat and one days got up wrote my notice and handed it in!! The CEO called me in got upset and I said if you weren't such a bully and incapable of doing your job I would have stayed!! She was mortified put me on gardening leave coz I ha a 3 month notice period paid my bonus as payrise coz she thought I was dangerous lol she was right lol

Honestly do it if you can afford to!!

Kristi if miles is okay with you not working pack it in for your own sanity!! You're colleagues sound like a joke and if your boss cries who gives a **** she's not your friend she means nothing to you and she can get off her arse and do her job!! I ha a boss like her at the police station she was VILE!! Luckily she was single so I didn't have to listen to her sex anticts!! That would make me sick!!!

Financially it maybe worth waiting til after Xmas If you can but if it's that bad you're health and sanity is worth more than that

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I had a job, among many, that I absolutely hated!! I lost so much weight from being depressed & even threw up driving into work one day. After 8 months, I did something I've never done & never want to do again. I worked til about 9 am & decided I couldn't do it anymore & threw everything down & walked off the job without saying anything to anyone. I usually find a job to go to before I quit one, but I couldn't take this job anymore & swore to myself that finding another job would become my new job. I left that job that day & went to another place & asked for a job. THey said they weren't hiring & I demanded they give me a try & if I didn't work out to just tell me & I'd be gone. They loved me & never wanted me to leave. THis was many years ago! Haha.

It's not healthy for your to stay in a place that makes you this unhappy! If you can mustar staying there until you find another job, try. If it's that unbearable, leave & start looking for another job. THe only problem with trying to find a new job today, is the economy, but I think you're a smart person, so sell all your good attributes & stay positive. Never say anything negative. Good luck & I know things will work out--they always do!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts