Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had both girls at after hours vet place, got both weighed! Here are their weights and ages. Can you tell me if they seem appropriate and in line with the charts that many of you have and your experience? I do not know birth weights on either.

I appreciate it!!

Hope-2.8 lbs., 4 months and 1 week old

Ruby-2.2 lbs., 3 months, 2 weeks and 5 days old

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think those weights sound fine. Go more by the body condition than weight though. You could have a 2 pound puppy that was overweight for example, even though it is a very small dog. Puppies tend to be roly poly pudgy and that is OK, but I'd prefer to see them lean. NOT skinny or emaciated, but lean. It's much easier on their organs and joints.

You should be able to feel ribs, spine, and pelvis but not see them. You shouldn't have to press hard to feel ribs, for example. You should feel them right under the skin. But they don't show from the side.

Some dogs are harder to keep weight on than others. Some are very easy keepers and gain weight just looking at food. Kinda like people. ;)

As long as they are growing steadily, active, and have good poops - I'd say they are doing fine.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
If my math is right (questionable) then they are both right in the middle for their age, so average which is terrific!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Tracy!

Neither are very roly poly. Never have been. Both are lean and have a shape, especially looking from above. They both have a waist! Guess that made me think that they should. These girls run marathons (after each other) every day. They should have great hearts!!

I have been sneaking Ruby some extra ZP (don't tell Hope!) becasue I can see her hip bones and her spine is definitely easy to feel and sometimes see. She has gained in the 2 weeks that we have had her and she is a great eater and pooper.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
They are both going to be on the smaller side too. I would guess they don't get above 4 pounds. A great size! And they couldn't be cuter.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i would guess too that they will be on the smaller frame 4pounds seems good for each of them they are precious and i can tell you adore them so cute

1 - 7 of 7 Posts