Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sonny will be a year the end of July and was just neutered 10 days ago. Well long story short I took both Sonny and BG to Petsmart to get their nails trimmed (I have taken them there since early on where someone other than me is doing something to them). Sonny and I were walking around (while BG got her manicure pedicure) and he saw two dogs (One larger one smaller) and he wanted to say hi. No big deal so we walked towards them as the other dogs wanted to meet Sonny and the owners were good with it too and Sonny started growling.

About a month ago he started the growl, bark, wag tail thing to get dogs attention. I have been working with him on stopping it. Well as soon as he growled I got on the floor with him, made him sit, and told him no that was rude and not proper behavior. He started to act normal again and was sniffing the smaller of the two dogs with the larger just standing there. Then he turned and out of the blue snapped at the larger dog. He of course got a "no" and i picked him up imediately. I apologized to the owners and I would not allow him to walk around for the rest of our stay.

I am a firm believer in talking to my kids. I believe they understand me fully and I do have proof of it. Sonny received the full lecture on the way home and we even called his grandma to tell her and she gave him a lecture too. He was not impressed and pouted for an hour before apologizing.

Well both of my chis are socialized with all kinds of dogs and people. We have gone to the Pet Fiesta in May where you had everything from Great Danes to chis, chi play dates, I have big dogs. The only other time he has ever growled at a dog was in March when he was so tired from the Pet Expo (he walked around for 4 hours) he growled at a dog that got too close so I removed him immediately and he slept the rest of the day.

Is he just going through a stage? Something with the neuter? I am at a loss here as Sonny is my happy go lucky, excuse the term balls to the wall, never met a person or animal I do not like. BG is my more reserved diva drama queen. She is shy until she gets to know you kind of personality.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
No, I don't believe it's a stage. It's behavior that he seems to think is o.k. Not sure how to stop it, but you did the right thing by letting him know it's unacceptable. I'm going through the same thing with my chi. Had a similar situation while walking through the campground & a lady with her dog was passing us, when the two went crazy trying to get at each other. Took everything I had to hold Midgie back. Never saw this behavior before. Very disappointed. Will be interested to hear what others have to say!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't believe it's a stage. It's behavior that he seems to think is o.k. Not sure how to stop it, but you did the right thing by letting him know it's unacceptable. I'm going through the same thing with my chi. Had a similar situation while walking through the campground & a lady with her dog was passing us, when the two went crazy trying to get at each other. Took everything I had to hold Midgie back. Never saw this behavior before. Very disappointed. Will be interested to hear what others have to say!
I have never seen him act like that. It honestly through me off guard as he goes to Petsmart once a month, other events there is not an animal he has not been around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.