Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those of you that remember Douglas and myself know he was my service dog. He was retired fairly suddenly due to serious aggression issues. I have still been unable to get them under control. I have a new service dog, not a chi, she is a heeler/boston terrier mix named Alli. Douglas is still with me as my much beloved (and very unfriendly) pet. It was and is hard for me to be back on this site because I still feel so much pain at loosing him as my partner. It was a very hard decision to make. I love Alli very much but there will always be a sense of loss.

This is our whole pack together. The large dog is Lulu, a yellow lab cross we've had for years. Alli is the black and white dog on the left, and Douglas is the chi in the middle.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of what people do to these dogs could have triggered the behavior easily- he was a rescue who was abused prior to coming to me and it's possible something that happened in his working career made him react badly. One incident in particular could have triggered it- I had a very scary, large, bearded man try to harass Douglas into biting so he would not have to let us into his business. Douglas handled it perfectly at the time but not terribly long after he went for someone and had to retire.

Chis are not the most stable when it comes to temperament, we all know that. 99% of them have not got what it takes to be a service dog. He did, for a while anyway. Not now.

Alli is much more stable, she's also larger (25 pounds) and less delicate than tiny Douglas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts