1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
I haven't been on here in forever!

I've just been worrying too much over my baby! :(

Max hasn't been doing so good over the last few weeks/months! :( It's gonna hurt to write this but I just want to keep you updated since I haven't posted so long!

I posted a few months ago that Max was diagnosed with a heart murmur, it was grade 4, but he wasn't given meds.
Over the past few months he's had quite alot of trouble with his breathing, mainly laboured breathing.

Anyways.. A couple of weeks ago he was out in the garden when he seen a cat, he chased it for just 1 - 2 metres then (I didn't see this though, my mam was with him) he couldn't breathe, he collapsed on his side (unconscious) but was crying! My mam honestly thought he had passed away! :cry:

That day we took him to the vets, she said he'd fainted because his heart murmur sometimes doesn't let enough oxygen around the body? (something like that, I can't quite remember) & he had some fluid on his lungs. He was finally given meds (some for his heart murmur, and some for the fluid on his lungs) ..As soon as he started taking those tablets, he was doing great! :) He was like a puppy again, running around and playing, and his breathing improved ALOT! He was back at the vets last week and the vet said he was responding very well to his meds and there was alot less fluid on his lungs which left us extremely relieved!!!

But.. Last night Max just wouldn't let me sleep.. He kept staring at me all night and doing things to keep me awake, I thought he was just being annoying and wanted to go in the garden, so at 5am my mam took him out, then when they came back in I heard him crying out really loud! My heart was racing and I ran downstairs.. When I got downstairs he was lying on his side on the floor.. He'd fainted again!! When he woke up he had a fit, he has epilepsy, but it's been a while since he's had a fit!

Me and my mam were panicking and I couldn't stop shaking, this was the first time I'd seen him faint, and him being my baby, ofcourse I was thinking the worst! :cry:

The first time he fainted a few weeks ago he was so scared, he followed us around everywhere before we went to the vets because he didn't want to be alone.
Last night he was terrified after that, poor baby! :( So I didn't go to sleep, I just lay with him making sure he was okay!

He seems *okay* now.. Well.. Back to normal! He's going to the vets again, but they wont give us an appt until monday!

BREATHING DIFFICULTIES ARE AN EMERGENCY, STUPID VETS!!! :foxes15:

I'm always worrying about him even when there's nothing wrong with him, so when something like this happens, I'm a total nervous wreck! :(

Vet said she was considering a heart scan, but didn't know whether to, because he's a nervous dog and it can be very stressful - not good for the heart! :confused:

But I don't know.. If a scan would help get the correct treatment for my baby, then I think it would be worth it, what do you think?!

Please pray for Max! :( He is my entire world, and I'm terrified about going back to the vets (you always expect the worst, don't you?!)!

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road and Max will go back to playing like a puppy again! :)

Will try and post more from now on, I miss you all so much! :flower:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
oops. -deleted this post-

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this! Try to stay positive for Max. The heart scan a tough decision but I think I would probably go that route & be with him while he goes through it as you being with him will help to keep him at ease, but you know what's best for your baby, so go with your heart. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i really do know how you feel :( , best thing to do it keep him cool and try not to let him get over excited as it will make his heart work harder , what medication is he on ?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:daisy:

I'm sorry to hear of Max's difficulties lately. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I don't really know what the heart scan entails. Does he have to anesthetized? Alone or can you be with him? If that's the only way to get proper diagnosis/treatment, I'd probably do it especially if anesthesia is not involved.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
My last Chi, Tito, had a weak heart valve... and produced the same symptoms you speak of... except he never cried out.... he would faint though.... Vet suggested a ultrasound ....to see what the heart was doing....
*HUGS* to you and your family......

BTW, I could not stay in the same room with Tito when the ultrasound was done, Tito became too nervous... Vet said he was fine once I left the room...

·
Registered
477 Posts
If I called my vet and said my dog was having trouble breathing and they put me off even a couple of hours, much less several days, I'd have a new vet in a flash! I expect my vet to take care of my dogs and breathing difficulties are serious. I wouldn't even bother to call if one of mine was having difficulty breathing. I'd just rush them to the vet's office and they would respond immediately. One of my dogs chewed through an electrical cord one time and got a shock. I grabbed him up and rushed to the vet's office and they responded immediately when I came in the door, calling for a vet, who came out and took him in right then and examined him. That's what vet's do!!

I certainly hope Max recovers and you find medication that will help him. Sorry you're going through this. Having a sick one is so difficult. Gentle hugs to Max.

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I'm sorry to heart that Max isn't doing so good. He will be in my prayers. Hugs.
I would look for a new vet. Difficulty breathing is serious and should be taken care of immediately.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much everyone! :) Will keep you all updated!

Not sure about the heart scan, she didn't really explain it much!

& sugarbaby he is on Frusemide & Prilenal! We've also started giving him his epilepsy medicine too (Phenobarbitone)!

xxxx

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I will be keeping you and little Max in my thoughts. Please keep us posted. x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I hope the medications help him out. I would agree with a sonogram of the heart to see what is actually going on. They can sedate him if he is really nervous. It's hard to diagnose without actually having a look. That could be very helpful in his treatment.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I am so sorry about Max *hugs* to you....I agree with a sonogram as well.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having troubles with Max. :( I really hope you can get to the bottom of his issues & find something to prevent these faining episodes of his. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts