Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, hope no one minds answering more questions! I started Honey on raw 2 days ago, she loves it. I am currently only feeding her one raw meal in the evening, for her lunch she still has her grain free kibble (really because i have about 3 weeks worth of it left, so thought i might aswell use it up!) I'm definately planning to put her on full raw when its all gone, having trouble finding butchers in my area that have a variety though, but i will perservere.

So... i know at the start of feeding raw, there should be lots of bone. I'm currently giving her bone-in chicken wings and thighs, she is having no trouble getting through these (she currently has 1.5oz per raw meal of this). Should i be giving bone-in for each raw meal, if she is still on the kibble in the day?

How do you get your chi's to only eat on the one surface area? I have bought plastic mats for the floor and tried a towel, but each time, she has wanted to drag the meat off to a place where the floor isnt covered! Will she learn if i just keep putting it back to where i want her to eat it?

Do any of you use Kongs? If so, can you just put raw in and freeze it? (i would normally wet her kibble, mix with other tasty bits, seal the hole with organic PB and freeze it)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Hiya, hope no one minds answering more questions! I started Honey on raw 2 days ago, she loves it. I am currently only feeding her one raw meal in the evening, for her lunch she still has her grain free kibble (really because i have about 3 weeks worth of it left, so thought i might aswell use it up!) I'm definately planning to put her on full raw when its all gone, having trouble finding butchers in my area that have a variety though, but i will perservere.

So... i know at the start of feeding raw, there should be lots of bone. I'm currently giving her bone-in chicken wings and thighs, she is having no trouble getting through these (she currently has 1.5oz per raw meal of this). Should i be giving bone-in for each raw meal, if she is still on the kibble in the day?

How do you get your chi's to only eat on the one surface area? I have bought plastic mats for the floor and tried a towel, but each time, she has wanted to drag the meat off to a place where the floor isnt covered! Will she learn if i just keep putting it back to where i want her to eat it?

Do any of you use Kongs? If so, can you just put raw in and freeze it? (i would normally wet her kibble, mix with other tasty bits, seal the hole with organic PB and freeze it)
I'm sure others will jump in but I'll try and help.... :)

Since she's doing well on the raw with bone-in and I assume having normal stools, then you can slowly back off on the bone. Give chicken thigh meat without the bone, for example, and alternate with a wing. Aim for mostly meat with just a little bone, and then eventually you will be at about 10% bone, which is the ideal. Kibble has plenty of calcium, so she won't be short changed if you back off on the bone.

Get our your mat, or towel, or whatever you decide to feed on. Hand her the raw food and when she settles down to eat it on the mat, give her praise. If she gets up with it and walks off, say 'no, stay on your mat' or words of your choice, and put her back on it. Do this repeatedly. Never let her eat off the mat. She will learn. Eventually you can just point if she starts to get close to the edge and she will move back on. Doesn't take long for them to learn eat only on the mat.

Yes, you can put raw in a kong and freeze. Minces work best for this.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I get most of my raw from my local butcher. It is totally worth making friends with your butcher, ours puts things by for us, many will give bones etc away for free. Ours stocks all types of heart, (ox, lamb, pork and chicken, all go down extremely well with my two) pigs spleen (yucky!) and pancreas (yum!) calves and lambs kidneys (not keen) and several types of liver, (only chicken is eaten willingly!) They also have wild rabbits, chicken carcasses and various bones.
I get ribs from the butchers counter at Sainsburys, also fresh chicken wings and chicken portions off the shelf and frozen chicken livers and Basic beef/pork mince.
Asda have pork ribs on the shelf, (not always in Chi sized portions though) and also do a value frozen beef/pork mince.
Tesco are the only supermarket round here that stocks heart.
Then only thing I regularly get from pet shops is their tripe. I get Prize Choice freeflow minced green tripe in 2kg bags. It also comes in 400g blocks, but I have found this to be much more watery and not as 'green' as the freeflow type. Prize Choice is stocked by most pet shops in the UK (including Pets At Home) and I will use the frozen blocks occasionally (usually beef, turkey or lamb/chicken) but it isn't the best quality meat.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tracy, i knew i could rely on you!
I never even knew about feeding raw before coming on this site (my reaction was that of ewwww! - exactly what people i talk to now say!) - thankyou for answering all of the questions people have about it, really does make a difference! x

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stella, thanks so much - very informative on raw in the UK.
Well, you'd never believe it, the 1 butcher i didnt ring yesterday in my area, i just rang - he stocks all sorts of stuff!! Various hearts, kidneys and livers, sweetbreads and melts, and a huge variety of meat - including rabbits, pheasant, all sorts of game, venison, kangaroo and zebra! Woo hoo! :) So im actually sat here at work smiling at the thought of all this meat lol! (Who would have thought i was a vegetarian until recently!)
Hoping i can do this raw on a budget, so am going to get friendly with the butcher and see what kind of deals he can do me!x

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Brilliant news! It really doesn't work out expensive, for example a whole rabbit costs me £4. But once portioned up and frozen it actually made 18 Chi meals, not including it's offal. Get in the habit of checking the reduced counters in the supermarket too, you can find some real bargains.
I was vegan years ago, so I know how you feel about butchers, it's an education! I had no idea what sweetbreads and melts were until a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Great info from Stella on what to find in the UK! You guys have a GREAT variety, I'm so jealous!

Rachel, sounds like you are off to a great start with your butcher! And like Stella pointed out, once you portion out the meat, it turns out to really not be expensive at all. I am just finishing up a very large venison heart which I chopped into 2 ounce chunks and froze. It lasted almost 6 months, being rotated in with other meats!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And you cut the rabbit up yourself? I wouldnt know where to start and i dont think i could do it...! I was just going to ask the butcher to do it for me?
I think i will definately buy in bulk and freeze the portions, thanks for that :)

Another thing... i took Honey to the vets last night, just for a check up and to get some more flea/wormer treatments. I usually see this one vet, who is lovely, and is enthusiastic about doggy stuff! But he was ill last night, so i saw the vet in his place, who i wasnt best pleased with. We got onto the topic of diet... as soon as i mentioned Raw, her face dropped!

She was basically saying that a Chihuahua shouldnt be fed raw as they are too small (?!), that even raw bones can splinter, that chicken is the worst thing to feed and that salmonella is easily spread through poo!

Now, as you know, i am no expert! But seriously?! I didnt bother arguing with her, just nodded and took it all in, but i have been researching today (into the bones and salmonella things) - lots of people are saying dont feed supporting-weight bones, like big turkey leg bones? Is this right? Also, i clean up after Honey poo's straight away, so cant see the salmonella ever being a problem!

As for chicken being the worst thing to feed - i have read in a million posts that for the first few weeks, chicken should be the only meat fed. After that, work up to 50% red meat. I was still planning on feeding chicken alongside, i can do this cant i?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
*sigh* Sometimes I get tired of the vets arguments. But they don't hold any water.

chicken is perfectly fine for the first couple of weeks, then you will branch out into the red meats and use it mostly for the bone content. I don't feed turkey bones.

Salmonella is everywhere. Dogs lick their butts. They don't wear shoes. It's in every stool, whether animal or person. The many many recalls of dog kibble have been for salmonella. It is also found in recalls for peanut butter and spinach, etc. It is a very common pathogen. If you take reasonable care, which it sounds like you are, there is no reason to worry.

Use your good common sense and all will be fine! :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That is an excellent site! Very reassuring and good information there! :)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Yes I cut the rabbit up myself, I was pretty proud of myself! It was skinned and minus its head already though, I get a bit squeamish if I have to look at the face. It has been a huge hit, and I'm really pleased that it was a wild bunny, I am not a fan of how rabbits are farmed in this country.
As for the bone issue, most raw feeders do not feed weight bearing bones because they are very dense and can break a dogs teeth. We do get huge beef bones occasionally from our butcher and I have no qualms letting my two have them, they are too little to actually eat the bone. They chew all the meat off and I then take them away. One of the advantages of owning the smallest breed of dog!
My vet is also anti-raw, and like you I just nod and smile. Dogs die from bloat every day as a direct result of eating kibble, but they still continue to push kibble.....
Are you on Facebook? There is a lovely raw feeding group which promotes all types of raw feeding (BARF, RMB, prey model etc) it is great for support, and you may even hear of a vet in your area who supports raw feeding, they are out there.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I cut the rabbit up myself, I was pretty proud of myself! It was skinned and minus its head already though, I get a bit squeamish if I have to look at the face. It has been a huge hit, and I'm really pleased that it was a wild bunny, I am not a fan of how rabbits are farmed in this country.
As for the bone issue, most raw feeders do not feed weight bearing bones because they are very dense and can break a dogs teeth. We do get huge beef bones occasionally from our butcher and I have no qualms letting my two have them, they are too little to actually eat the bone. They chew all the meat off and I then take them away. One of the advantages of owning the smallest breed of dog!
My vet is also anti-raw, and like you I just nod and smile. Dogs die from bloat every day as a direct result of eating kibble, but they still continue to push kibble.....
Are you on Facebook? There is a lovely raw feeding group which promotes all types of raw feeding (BARF, RMB, prey model etc) it is great for support, and you may even hear of a vet in your area who supports raw feeding, they are out there.
How did you know which bits were which? Or is that a silly question lol! Does it matter? Oh god yeah, if the meat still has eyes attached, I just can’t even look at it!
Honey turned her nose up at her raw last night – it was some chicken breast. So I gave her a chicken thigh instead and she got stuck in! Do you think it’s the texture or something? Strange!
How long have you been feeding raw Stella? And do you have any bigger pics of your dogs, I keep looking at the little pic above your posts, but I don’t think it does them justice! :)
Yes I’m on Facebook, what is the group called? Thanks for the suggestion. x

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Ours were both fed on dry when they came to us, Bambi as a baby puppy (she was reared on James Wellbeloved), and then Harley at 4 and a half months was on Bakers, which is possibly the worst food on the market, so we changed them both over to raw as soon as he had settled in. Harley was really skinny from the Bakers, and just wouldn't eat enough of the JWB to put weight on. So that must be about a year on raw now.
As for the rabbit, it was quite easy to portion up, basically two front leg sections, a middle section, and two hind leg sectionss. Then I just cut each section into meal sized portions. I labelled it according to how bone-heavy that particular meal is. (the loin for example is more meaty than the thighs which have a larger proportion of bone) It came with the liver and two tiny kidneys and a teeny heart, which I actually recognised!
I am rubbish at taking pictures, I have hardly any of the dogs. Absolutely none of myself in the last 10 years lol. I will try and post some for you though. (of them, not me!)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im hoping i will pick up this Raw feeding pretty quickly, i know feeding more/less bone isnt critical at the moment, but like you said about labelling according to bone content - i feel like im very far off doing that!
To get the overall balance, do you plan what you are going to give them over a week/2 weeks? I was thinking i would prepare and freeze a weeks worth of meals that includes the 10% bone and 10% organs and then i can just defrost as necessary over the week. Then i know she has had everything she needs?
Whats the facebook site hun?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The FB group is just called Raw Feeding. Tinkerwolf is also on it, I expect a few others are too. My avatar is a guinea pig with a rosette, I think I'm the only Stella on there.
Lots of people prep a weeks worth of food like you suggest, I'm not that organised! As long as they get a balanced diet overall, it doesn't really matter how you feed it. I have 3 separate sections for them in the freezer, just meat, meat with bone in and offal. That way if the labels come off (frozen meat looks very similar to me!) I know at least what group it is from. I make a note of what they have had, and add what they need in the next meal to balance it out. I don't feed things like eggs and fish regularly, but when I notice they haven't had them for a while I include some.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts