Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The saga continues. Was on Orijen puppy and liked it well enough. Then older Chi hated the adult formula, was not happy with the new addition and we searched for food for him. He would eat Royal Canin so that is what I had both dogs on. But recently Maya stopped eating it. It even could be longer than recently as the kids give her scraps and treats and at 2.5 pounds, she may be existing on that. She is really skinny though as I posted in a previous post. So, my quest for food she will eat is going strong.
Here is what I tried so far...
3 Dog Bakery Dry food; ate it up yesterday at lunch and wouldn't touch it last night or today or tonight. Bruiser also ate it yesterday and wouldn't touch it today. They would go so far as to take a kibble and spit it out.

Addiction Summer Brushtail freeze dried raw: Made me almost hurl stirring it up thinking of possum or whatever the heck New Zealand brushtail is. But it didn't smell bad; just sort of made me gag. It was soupy at first (didn't know it had to sit for a bit to re-hydrate...directions didn't say to wait) and Maya licked up a little. I was so excited. Bruiser liked it too. So I put Bruiser outside to give Maya the bowl to herself. After a few licks...nothing. Let Bruiser back in and he scarfed it up. Licked his chops and all and was sniffing around for more.

So....I need a good food since Maya is so small that she will actually eat. I prefer dry, but would do dehydrated raw etc. as it wasn't that bad. But she is being a brat with this eating thing. I made sure the kids didn't feed her anything; not a treat, crust or anything today. She sniffed the food like she would want it but turned her nose up at it tonight (the 3 dog bakery).

So, I am off to Long Dog Fat Cat tomorrow where they have the following brands

BG (Before Grain)
California Natural
Canidae
Chicken Soup for Dog Lover’s Soul
Deli Fresh
Dogswell
EVO
Go! Natural
Halo
Healthwise
Holistic Select
Honest Kitchen
Innova
Instinct
Merrick
Natural Balance (**** Van Patten's)
Natural Planet Organic
Nutrisource
Northwest Natural Frozen Food
Now!
Orijen
Party Animal
Prairie
PureVita
Sojos
Stella & Chewy's
Strongpoint
Taste of the Wild
Wellness
Wellness Core
Weruva
Whole Earth Farms
Wysong
ZiwiPeak
Zukes

What do you all recommend for a ridiculously spoiled and picky eater? Thanks so much. She is too little to let go too long.

Tricia

·
Registered
912 Posts
Have never tried myself (can't buy it around here) but I've heard specifically for picky eaters, ZiwiPeak is the way to go.
Also, have heard a lot and given a lot of thought to Stella & Chewy's, but not necessarily for picky ones!
I hate to switch foods too much, as that alone will make them picky and want to continue the variety train, but free samples are very common if you call the manufacturer and a good way to figure out if they like it without breaking the bank!
Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
107 Posts
What about trying The Honest Kitchen, it doesnt seem that pricey if your just feeding a litte chi??? :) Im thinking about trying it!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That's why I love this store. They have sample bags of a lot of the foods. So, you can try a little bag for under $5.00. Not too bad. They do have Stella and Chewys there too in their freezer. I might have to try the ziwipeak. For the amount she eats, the cost isn't much of an issue in my monthly budget. Now, if she were a lab.....dog chow for her. haha
Thanks.
Tricia

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yikes! The good news is I have the answer you're looking for. Bad news is I don't think you'll like what I have to say. LOL

Your picky poochie is picky because you are allowing her to be. So long as you keep trying new foods until you "find one she loves" - she will continue to stop eating food after a meal or two. Our pups are very clever & know how to train us well.

Think of it - if you were expected to eat the same thing at every meal...if you knew if you refused to eat the same thing for lunch as you had for breakfast, that you would be given something different...you would right?

What you need to do in order to stop her from being picky is YOU pick what food you think is best & feed them that & only that. No scraps, no treats - just the chosen kibble/food you pick. Unless a dog is ill it will not starve itself. Offer the food for breakfast (leave down no more than 15 minutes) & bring it up & don't offer again until dinner. Same routine - bring up after 15 minutes & offer again the next morning.

I'm dealing with a picky Maribelle at the moment. I've been letting her get away with it since starting raw (she prefers chicken or eggs). She started out just snubbing beef (though I do think she may have an intolerence to it as she would vomit it up). She used to be able to tolerate beef tripe but then threw that up & started to snub that. Then pork (which she always loved) & she's also becoming less enthusiastic about the rabbit. Noticing this pattern I realized I needed to start to be a hard a$$. She has been a day w/o food here & there but I think she is finally getting the point. Its hard to see them not eat I know but I know its for their own good (especially in Maribelles case since she NEEDS the organ she was snubbing).

So, I'd find a food you are happy with - splurge on a BIG bag & buckle down on your picky pups. As far as brands go I'd go for a dehydrated raw like the Honest Kitchen or Ziwi Peak. Ziwi is more expensive but isn't as "gooey" as the Honest Kithen I don't believe.

Anyway, good luck!! :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Addiction Summer Brushtail freeze dried raw: Made me almost hurl stirring it up thinking of possum or whatever the heck New Zealand brushtail is. But it didn't smell bad; just sort of made me gag

I don't have any real advice for you but I saw this and wanted to comment.
I tried Addiction Venison for my senior dog, and omg.. it did make me gag, it was AWFUL, it was canned.
Thats the one food I don't allow in my home.. lol

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all.
Heather, I know you are totally right. It's just hard when she is so small and thin. You can see her ribs just looking at her and then she shakes, so it's a vicious cycle. Of course if I give her, say, some scrambled eggs, she's the hungriest dog ever! But you are right, I know. My husband who hates the dogs, per what he says, is always buying them dog treats. The cruddy ones too. Pupperoni! I call it the 'P' word because if you say it the dogs go nuts. So I think little one has been living on pupperoni, crusts of peanut butter and bread (and a little marshmallow fluff) and whatever else is dropped from the table. Being so small, she is probably not that hungry. But she has to be based on the fact that the kids are being very good at NOT giving her anything. Big dog is being a brat too, but has more cushioning and will eat a little. He loved the Addiction Brushtail. (I did look up what a New Zealand Brushtail is and it is a wild possum. gag!). I am going to try the Ziwipeak tomorrow and just live with it for a while. I don't mind throwing out the big bag of Royal Canin since it's not great food anyway.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Tricia

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yikes! The good news is I have the answer you're looking for. Bad news is I don't think you'll like what I have to say. LOL

Your picky poochie is picky because you are allowing her to be. So long as you keep trying new foods until you "find one she loves" - she will continue to stop eating food after a meal or two. Our pups are very clever & know how to train us well.

Think of it - if you were expected to eat the same thing at every meal...if you knew if you refused to eat the same thing for lunch as you had for breakfast, that you would be given something different...you would right?

What you need to do in order to stop her from being picky is YOU pick what food you think is best & feed them that & only that. No scraps, no treats - just the chosen kibble/food you pick. Unless a dog is ill it will not starve itself. Offer the food for breakfast (leave down no more than 15 minutes) & bring it up & don't offer again until dinner. Same routine - bring up after 15 minutes & offer again the next morning.

I'm dealing with a picky Maribelle at the moment. I've been letting her get away with it since starting raw (she prefers chicken or eggs). She started out just snubbing beef (though I do think she may have an intolerence to it as she would vomit it up). She used to be able to tolerate beef tripe but then threw that up & started to snub that. Then pork (which she always loved) & she's also becoming less enthusiastic about the rabbit. Noticing this pattern I realized I needed to start to be a hard a$$. She has been a day w/o food here & there but I think she is finally getting the point. Its hard to see them not eat I know but I know its for their own good (especially in Maribelles case since she NEEDS the organ she was snubbing).

So, I'd find a food you are happy with - splurge on a BIG bag & buckle down on your picky pups. As far as brands go I'd go for a dehydrated raw like the Honest Kitchen or Ziwi Peak. Ziwi is more expensive but isn't as "gooey" as the Honest Kithen I don't believe.

Anyway, good luck!! :)

I 100% agree with this. My Harley was a picky eater when he ate kibble and when he first started raw, it takes some tough love but it will get better. I promise. If your Chi is tiny and you are concerned about Hypoglycemia issues get some Nuti-cal and give a little as needed. Stay strong!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to the food store today and talked to the owner. (I wish he would be more committal as he jumps from one, "that's good" to another "that's good too"). Anyway, I was set to buy the ziwipeak but they only had that brand in snacks. So...we talked about Stella and Chewys, THK, among others and he recommended the sojos. Price-wise, according to him, it was a bit less expensive than THK and Stella and Chewys. Plus, with the Stella and Chewys being frozen, he said I might prefer the ease of the Sojos.
So, I got the Sojos complete turkey and as of day 1 we have a hit. Of course, the true test will be the upcoming days. But the food looks nice. It looks real. You can identify all the pieces for what they are; sweet potatoes, turkey, broccoli etc. I really hope that it is a go. Of course, now that they ate it today, I am putting my foot down and this is what we are going to use for a while. I bought a full size bag and enough is enough! :)
Thanks for all of your help. Cross your fingers that they continue to like this.
Tricia

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 2 and they licked the bowl clean this morning and are sniffing around for more. :) At first, I put the bowl down with just Maya in the kitchen and she sniffed around it and ate a little and then walked away. I was like, 'Great. another failure." But then I let Bruiser in to eat and he seemed disinterested as well. A few minutes later, he was eating, which made Maya curious and the two of them licked the bowl clean. :) I made up a batch already for their night feeding and hoping this is the end of the ridiculous picky eaters. Thanks again.
Tricia

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Chorkie (chi/Yorkie) mix is picky also. I went through many different dog foods, scrambled her eggs everymorning even sunk as low to give her turkey hot dogs. Finally I decided to try a different approach. I feed her 1/2 of a 3.5 oz Cesar Canine Cusine each morning. If she eats it great if she doesn't I put it in the fridge for the next day. I always keep fresh water and dry food out and she nibbles off and on one piece at a time all day on it. After several months of this approach she is a healthy thin and seems fine. I am less stressed also. OH- She will always eat if my Border Collie is around or if he is eating she trys to steal is food. I call her a social eater. If she doesn't eat 2 mornings in a row I take some of the portion I tried to feed her to my Border Collie once she sees me do this she typically runs and eats the remaining portion on her plate. SHE IS SPOILED. I know it is hard not to worry when they are small. Hailey is 10 months old and 3 lbs 9 oz. Best wishes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The saga continues. Was on Orijen puppy and liked it well enough. Then older Chi hated the adult formula, was not happy with the new addition and we searched for food for him. He would eat Royal Canin so that is what I had both dogs on. But recently Maya stopped eating it. It even could be longer than recently as the kids give her scraps and treats and at 2.5 pounds, she may be existing on that. She is really skinny though as I posted in a previous post.
I'm not familiar with your dogs, and I just came across your post, but..

Have you considered that maybe it's not the food that is being rejected by your dog(s), but that maybe they're just too stressed to eat around each other? Teddy will actually starve himself if Zoey is too close to the bowl, even if he has not eaten all day. I have to separate them by putting Teddy in a pen so that he feels comfortable enough to eat. My parents' dogs, two terriers, are the same way-- the more "submissive" of the two will starve herself and stay away from the food if the other dog is near. In both cases, the "submissive" dog is never bullied, and the "dominant" dog is not food aggressive to anyone (dogs or people), so it can be hard to notice when a dog is avoiding food for that particular reason.

The fact that you just added a new dog to the mix makes me suspect this even more. The hierarchy may have been thrown off with your pack. They might still be feeling each other out and be kind of shy about eating in front of a "stranger."

My advice would be to try feeding them in separate rooms, or at least put the dog that is the most uncomfortable in a crate or playpen so that s/he feels comfortable enough to eat.

MChis said:
Unless a dog is ill it will not starve itself.
I have actually heard (though I'm not sure of the validity) that Chihuahuas are one of the few types of dogs that WILL actually "starve themselves to death." It's not that they refuse to eat and eventually waste away, but because they are so small, they can die due to hypoglycemia. I use a dab of Karo Syrup on Teddy's tongue for a quick fix if he's ever kept from food too long and seems lethargic. I think you are sort of enabling your pup to be picky, but I also think you're right to be worried about her health if she seems thin.

I work at a natural pet supply store (Earth Pets Natural Pet Market in FL). We sell brands like Innova, EVO, Instinct, Orijen, California Natural, Ziwi Peak, Lotus, Now!, Party Animal, etc. I feed my dogs Orijen Regional Red kibble. Zoey gets EVO 95% meat canned food, and Teddy gets the organic Party Animal canned food. We'll be switching Zoey off of EVO as soon as we run out because Natura was just sold to Proctor & Gamble. They eat their canned food (once a day) in separate areas, and they graze on the kibble throughout the day.

If I'm too late, and everything seems to have worked out, then it might just be that the hierarchy has kind of resolved itself as the dogs have gotten more used to each other, or maybe the problem did lie with the food itself. Either way, I hope my advice is still useful to you somehow. :)

- Kaila

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Kaila:
I did consider that the dogs might be nervous, so I tend to feed them separately. The little one though is more dominant and decides when she eats. We didn't add a new dog to the mix. Have had these 2 for 1 1/2 years now. We are puppy sitting this week so everything is chaos completely. But I do have to say that they are still happily eating the Sojos. So, I am happy now too. In fact, the puppy got into it too. oops. haha
Tricia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts