Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had dogs most of my life, mostly small. But Barbie (my first chi ever) is turning out to be really small. She will be 5 months on June 3rd. I weighed her yesterday and she weighs 30 ounces. The vet said that spading should be done at 6 months. I am SCARED to have her operated on. Please tell me what you guys think. I read all the advice and I have learned so much here on how to take care of my little angel. She is healthy, happy, eats great, plays great. She is the best pet ever. But she is so little that I am afraid. :?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well do you HAVE to spay her now for some reason? Just wondering. Do you have other male dogs?

By the way .... Everytime I see her picture all I can think is how cute she looks in pink :wave:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I have read that some dogs that stay tiny like Barbie, might not be able to be spayed. Has anyone else read or heard of this? She is so precious. Very tiny. :wink:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Let the vet know your concerns. I'm sure they can go over everything that will be done in the surgery. With alot of smaller dogs more lab work should be done. Ask the vet about what type of anesthetic machine will be used. If memory serves me right I read somewhere that dogs under 10 pounds or so are better off using a non-rebreathing system. I hope this sorta helps...I'm sure someone here has more info. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Wow, she is very tiny. First off, I would ask your vet if he's had a lot of experience working with small breed dogs, especially this small. Also, because of her size, I definately recommend blood work. I have personal experience with this topic.

My male Chi, Zeus, got neutered when he was 7 months old. He was 7 pounds at the time. We used this vet (not the one I use for my cats) only because he had been seen there and I had no reason not to try the vet out. Up until his neuter I was pretty happy with the vet especially since I had worked for a vet for 6 years and the vet seemed very knowledgeable. Well, I took Zeus at 8am to get neutered. At 10:30 that morning they called to say I could pick him up around 2. When I got him home, he was alittle sore as to be expected. That night he ate alittle, pooped, but didn't pee. I knew this could be normal since he had been under anesthesia and I'd see how he was in the morning. In the morning, no pee. I called the vet's office and the front desk wouldn't even let me talk to the vet. She came back to the phone and said if he doesn't pee by late afternoon to bring him in. Noon comes around and he's stilll not peeing and he's beginning to show signs of pain. I palpate his abdomen and his bladder is full. Now I'm worried. I called the vet again and they said to bring him in. Good thing I brought him in when I did. The vet couldn't even get a cathetar in him he was so swollen. They told me they'd need to reopen him to see what's going on. They wanted to keep him overnight, but I refused. After the surgery, the vet told me that he had made the internal sutures too tight causing his urethra to swell up. The way he worded it really pissed me off. He said "Yeah, I had a feeling I had made those sutures too tight. I really give it a good tug." I took Zeus home that evening with a 3/4" open wound that I had to pack with antibiotics until it healed. For the next week, he wasn't peeing correctly. He was only dribbling alittle when I would take him out. He would soak his crate at night and was peeing on the kitchen floor at least once an hour. I called the vet numerous times and all I'd get was "It's going to take time to heal." I decided to take him to the vet I use for my cats for a 2nd opinion. This vet was able to put a cathetar in him with no problem, so he at least had a clear urethra. He drained 30cc's of urine out. This vet believed that either two scenarios happened. Either when he was stiching Zeus up inside, he wrapped a suture (stitch) around the urethra, therefore clamping his urethra up completely until he went in again to remove the stitches or he pierced the urethra causing all the swelling. It took 6 weeks (normally a few days) for Zeus to completely heal up and pee normally. We had to re-housetrain him. If there was such thing as "dog malpractice" this is a perfect example. It kills me to think if I had waited any longer to take him back to the vet, his bladder could have ruptured and I could have lost my dog. To this day, I'm still kicking myself for not taking him to my vet, but I've seen a lot of neuters, and NEVER have I seen a complication like this before.

I don't mean to scare you. This is VERY rare, but please make sure you vet does have the experience working with such a small dog. With their size, everything is so close together inside.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yes I have heard she may be too tiny, but a good vet will know what to do. Pango's Mum is right about the anesthia, I think it's called CVO is what they should use...WOW 30 oz.....I can only imagine :shock:
Let us know what happens, I would not be "stuck" on the 6 months. If it takes time for her to get bigger or gain weight then so be it....some people wait until after the first heat, some wait until 2 years. There's alot of opinions out there. :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
NoahFL said:
He said "Yeah, I had a feeling I had made those sutures too tight. WHAT A JERK!He would soak his crate at night and was peeing on the kitchen floor at least once an hour. POOR ZEUS I called the vet numerous times and all I'd get was "It's going to take time to heal." YEAH OK! It took 6 weeks (normally a few days) for Zeus to completely heal up and pee normally. OH the poor baby! I am glad Zeus is ok now!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, thank you guys for all the advice! I feel a little comfort and was petrified reading about Zeus! Gave me chill bumps! I have no other dogs. She is it! The vet was very ho-hum about it. He said that the reason for spading so young was that they could live longer and it would prevent cancer and all that. So I am torn by fear of something happening to her (why take the chance?) and not doing something that would keep her with me longer. But June 3rd she will be five months and still doesn't weigh two pounds, though she doesn't know it! I just don't know, right now, I'm thinking NO WAY I'M TAKING THE CHANCE! :roll:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If I were in your situation, I'd wait until she was around 6-7 months and take another look at her weight. If she's over 4 pounds, I'd say go for it. She's still quite young and if you have no male (un-neutered) dogs around that could get in contact with her... what's the rush?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you're going to be careful, so there's no accidental pregnancies, there's no reason not to wait. But a pregnancy would be as dangerous to her as the surgury.

A note here--some vets neuter and spay rats and other small animals. I think even as small as she is, it's safe to assume that a female rat is smaller. If you could find a vet who did those kind of surgeries (and they are hard to find), you could probably feel assured that s/he would be competant with a small dog. Or simply look for a vet who operated on many small dogs...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are right, why make the decision now? And I did think about the smaller animals being fixed, but still when its your own small princess! I will wait and take it from there. We will see at about 7 months. Thanks you guys for caring and for your advice. I don't feel alone in this decision now. I SO appreciate your wisdom! Lot's of Barbie kisses to all of you! :love4:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I know getting your baby spayed is very difficult but in the end it is better for your dog and will reduce the risk of cancer. If you spay before the first heat cycle, the chances of her developing mammary gland cancer is near zero. If you spay after the first heat, some say it increases to about 8%. After the second heat it increases to 25% (the same as an unspayed dog). Spaying also eliminates the chance of uterine infections. Speak to your vet about your concerns. I'm sure he'll have some advice. If you lived out in the LA area, I would recommend an excellent Dr. but I see your in Chicago. Good luck! =)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Barbie will be 7 months on July 3rd. She weighs 2.75 lbs. She seems huge to me now. After her being so little, but after a consultation with another vet, he said that the risks were 50-50. So I am on a firm NO on the spading. How much more growing is there to do after 7 months? Anyone know? And does anyone know when their first heat is? All I know about chis I've learned on this board and reading the "Chihuahua for Dummies" book. So any info is greatly appreciated. I also read all I can on the internet. But there is nothing like experienced chi owners. :!:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I would definately get her spayed because if by any chance she ever got pregnant thjat would be a huge risk for her, I would wait until 3 months after her fist heat which will probably take you up too 12-18 months she might be a bit bigger by then too :wave:

·
Registered
549 Posts
To spay or not to spay...that is a question that I think that the owner really needs to make, but opinions on the subject are many. I feel that if the chi is just a pet and you are not planning on any future litters-and with a very small dog, that would be a risk-then spay them. The health of the chi is better over all and you do not have to deal with the heat cycle issue. Chis are not a messy type of dog when they are in heat, but it is still an issue. What do you do during that time-potty breaks take longer and if the weather is bad and you have to take them out on a lead-they take forever to find the right site to leave their scent. And a female in heat can attract male dogs from quite a distance. And the heat cycle lasts for 3 weeks every 6 months. Most people like to spay before the first heat-that way the vulva stays small-once thru a heat it never returns to pre-heat size.
I do not think that any vet will give more than a 50-50 odd when putting any dog under anesthesia-it is always a risk. I just had surgery performed on Riley my male chi-I am not going to neuter him, because I plan on using him as stud-but I need to have his umbilical hernia repaired. I waited as long as possible-but he was only 3 months and just over 2 lbs. when the time came that it needed to be done. If I were going to neuter him, I would have done it then rather than put him under again. But he came thru it just fine. But I still worried about putting a dog that small under anesthesia.
But again, opinions are many. If it were my chi, I would have her spayed and not have to worry about it again, especially if she were only a pet. I have three of my female chis spayed and my whippet is also spayed-now that is a challenge because sight hounds sometimes have a reaction to anesthesia. I was more worried about her than my chis.
Good luck in your decision-whatever you chose will be the right one for you, and I am sure that you will consider all of the long term effects in your decision.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have already asked my vet about spaying. I even asked if someone there had done a spay on a small dog. They do rabbits and ferrets so I am sure they know what they are doing.
Why not ask your vet if they have any experience with small animals? If not find one that does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts