Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to these boards as a poster, but I've always found them to be a great reference, so thank you!

My chi just turned a year old. She had a lot of digestive issues as a pup, so I held off getting her spayed until that was under control. Luckily, things have been great, so she was spayed on Thursday. I picked her up from the vet on Friday. She has internal stitches and her incision was held together with surgical glue. It looked a little crusty from dried blood but all weekend things were fine. She's been wearing her e-collar and seems used to to it by now.

I went to work today and when I came home, she was so excited and hyper, as she usually is. I had her confined to the bedroom, so she wasn't running around all day or anything. I checked out her incision and it appeared to be splitting upon towards the top, but it wasn't bleeding. I put a piece of tissue on it to tell and there was a little pinkness. So I brought her to the vet. They vet said she was afraid it may split more and took her in the back. 10 minutes later she came out with 5 staples!! Now the incision looks awful and is bleeding from the staples. I feel terrible, like his made it worse than it was. The vet gave me antibiotics as a preventative measure, and she's on pain meds. I'm just nervous that she may now pop a staple!! Has this happened to anyone before? I'm wondering if I should just crate her when I go to work tomorrow. I know she'll be miserable but I just wNt her to heal. Any advice or words of wisdom? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I would crate her just as a precaution as you want this to fully heal. The vet probably felt if they did not put in staples it could get a lot worse so they opted to do that to get it to heal.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Could you buy/borrow a playpen? Then she'd have a little more room to go potty. This too will pass. That glue stuff usually works. I had an italian greyhound who 'tore' a piece of skin off coming inside, and they glued it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would keep her in a smaller space like Susan said.. When Josie got spayed, she really just wanted to sleep all the time because she was on some sedatives to keep her from running around. Is your girl on any sedatives? If not, you may want to talk to the vet about getting some. Good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Are post surgical problems common. I planned to get alina done next week as I have my half term holiday so I can be home all day to monitor her but this post has terrified me. Good job doggies can't read! !

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Are post surgical problems common. I planned to get alina done next week as I have my half term holiday so I can be home all day to monitor her but this post has terrified me. Good job doggies can't read! !
As with any surgeries there are risks but it is not common to have problems after a spay or a neuter. The biggest thing is to keep them quiet and not let them jump around. Also it is important to make sure they can't chew their incision site.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Play pens are awesome for healing after a spay. Odie was extremely ill for a long time after her spay and although she was too sick to jump around or anything, I still felt better about her being in an enclosed space. I slept next to it. Haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies. No, she is not on any sedatives. Her pain meds keep her calm though. I was home all weekend with her but went to work yesterday, when in came home, she was psyched, like she usually is. I think that's when it tore. Today, I penned her in the hallway. She literally only had space for a wee wee pad, food, and her bed. It's probably comparable to the size of a playpen. Her wound looks better today. Hopefully she will get better each day. It will be a week on Thursday so fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts