Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I will soon be the owner of a one year old female chi. I am delighted but I have a few concerns and I'm looking for advice. She weighs about four pounds. I would like to spay her but, I'm told that it's very risky and she might not make it through the surgery. What do I do? Also she has an underbite, should I worry about it?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would consult your vet on concerns of spaying her. The underbite won't cause a problem unless it makes chewing her food difficult. Chiquita, my 2 year old chi has a slight one, but its isn't noticeable at all unless you open her mouth.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
4 pounds is a normal weight for a chi there should be no problem with her been spayed my little girl was 4 pounds when I had her spayed :wave:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Molly is 4lbs too. She got spayed last month and did great! Just make sure you have a reputable vet. Molly has a slight overbite but it's not too noticable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it helps my little boy Raz was neutered at 2 months old and he only wieghed 3.0lbs at the time.

He came out fine.....I understand the concern and vets are the bets to get any questions like that answered.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
The vet can do a test to see if there will be any reaction to the anesthesia.
My vet did it to both my girls before they were spayed. Both were spayed at 6 months and right around 4 lbs. They both did fine.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella weighed 3 1/2 Lbs at the time of her spaying......she did fine. The advice to get a vet with small dog experience is spot on.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I waited for Ginger to be spayed until she was a year. At 6 months she weighed only 2lbs and I was very worried about how she would take it. At a year she was about 2.8lbs and was starting to go into heat so I had to get the surgery done.
She made it through okay! She actually was better off after it was all over then Tequila was when she got spayed and Tequila was much bigger.

If you are worried make sure you get a good vet who is experienced in small animals! Ask as many questions as you can think of to the vets...dont think you cannot question their experience!

I am sure your little girl will be just fine!

Also, my Kylie has an underbite and she eats just fine. The only problem you may come across is a build-up of tarter on the teeth. I make sure to brush her teeth once a week and give her a greenie once a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yikes; my pet is only 2 lbs, and she is six months now. I've been thinking about spaying her. Has anyone else here had 2lb gals spayed? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I might be the only one on this site who has. Like I said in my post before it was very scary but she pulled through it. Just be sure to find a vet who has experience/specializes in small animals and be sure to ask about their experiences with dogs so small. You will know which vet is right.
-Jessica

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was wondering if you ever decided to get your 2 pound chi spayed? I have a almost 2 pound (she is 6 months) and a male 1 pound 8 ounce(he is 1 year old). My vet said it wasn't worth the risk to put them through surgery since the are so small and under 4 pounds (average for anesthesia is 4/5 pounds). I would love to have them both fixed so life would be easier but I'm scared. Just wondering what you decided to do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2 pounder just got spayed on Friday; she's doing a lot better today. She was crying when I brought her home that day. My poor baby!

·
Registered
45 Posts
luvmychis, I can't imagine how small your chi's must be. Dazey is 6 months and weighs 3.5. She weighed 8 ounces when we got her and she was so tiny but your two are almost that small and are older. What would happen if you were to breed them? Could a dog that tiny have pups?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my male first and he never grew much. He has been 1 pound 8 ounces since July 2004. I doubt he will get any bigger.... I wished he would get bigger though because life would be easier. His birthday is this Saturday the 30th, he will be 1 years old. Since he was so small I'm tried to find another tiny one for him as a companion. One that I knew he would be safe with. Well, she is a terror! She acts like she is 6 pounder and doesn't realize her size. I just get after them when she gets ruff at playing. She is almost 2 pounds but her body frame is much more solid looking then his and of course being a female she is longer in her body. He looks much more fragile then her, but both are doing great health wise.
As for breeding, I would be to scared to loose her with the delivery. I no nothing about breeding and would never venture there. When the time comes that she is starting in heat, she will not be near him. I keep them in separate pens at night for sleeping so all are safe. That is were she will be hanging out when that time comes if I don't get her spayed. My older chis in the past were 5 pounds and were males. I never had to deal with this situation....lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts