Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how long after weaning can I get the momma dog spayed? They puppies should be weaned in the next week or so. They are sooooo fat and cute. I've been bring them out to the living room and letting them run around. It's going to be so hard to let them go! lol

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I thought you were just fostering her?? Are you keeping her now??

I would speak to your vet as I'm not sure of the timing I know they spay during a c section I think once she Is no longer nursing at all getting her spayed should be fine

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I know with cats its like 8 weeks after kittens are weaned...but I don't actually know with dogs.

Here is a somewhat basic faq I found for you though, that looks like it has good information...

Spaying Dogs after Pregnancy | Dog & Cat Health, Wellness, Products and Breed Information

It sounds like once they are weaned, with dogs, you can do it right away. I know they had to wait ages for my folk's stray cat and it ended up w/ another litter (shakes head).

We'd love to see new puppy pictures too!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the link. The pups are 5 weeks old, so in about three weeks I can take her in. The pups are eating dry pupy food, they hated the mushed up puppy food, even with canned thrown in. :confused: They now have the run of the bathroom and are so adorable. When they are excited, they hop like bunnies. lol I will try to take pcs later today.

For quite a few years, I would catch strays, and if I couldn't find their families, I would get them fixed and turn them in to the SPCA. We didn't have craigslist back then and with the people having to pay fees, some of the bad intentioned people were weeded out. I kept track of them in the SPCA and every one of the dogs were adopted within days because the fees were a lot less sinced they were already fixed and had all their shots. I can't afford to do that anymore, the cost of getting them fixed has more than trippled and they now charge to bring in a stray.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts