Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penny is only 11 weeks old now, so obviously she won't be spayed for a while, but I had a few questions.

I was planning on having her spayed at 5 months before she has her first heat, what are everyones thoughts on this? I had Lion neutered at 5 months and he recovered quickly, so it doesn't seem too young to me.

Should I have her microchipped and vaccinated for Rabies while she is asleep? I thought it would be better to just do everything at once to get it over with, but is that too much?

Any other thoughts or suggestions for spaying are welcome :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Microchip at time of spay is fine. DO NOT GET THE RABIES SHOT AT THE TIME OF HER SPAY, it is an EXTREME stress on the immune system and literally could kill her. Space it out at least 6 weeks from ANY other vet treatment :)

I also prefer to wait to spay females until 7 months, but, that's just me.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Microchip at time of spay is fine. DO NOT GET THE RABIES SHOT AT THE TIME OF HER SPAY, it is an EXTREME stress on the immune system and literally could kill her. Space it out at least 6 weeks from ANY other vet treatment :)/

I also prefer to wait to spay females until 7 months, but, that's just me.
Just curious- Why do you choose to wait?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Because the hormones help their bodies mature -- structurally and bone density wise. It gives their body more "guidance". 6 months is the minimum age I'd ever do, but I usually eek it out to 7 months just to give that tiny big of extra hormonal development. You shouldn't need to worry about her having a season as long as you don't wait past 7 months. Granted some females come into heat as early as 4 months so...who can really say? LOL anyway, I just feel the longer you can let her develop naturally, the better.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know! I have been doing a little more research and I might wait until 6 months, that way she can get her rabies shot ahead of time because the vet requires a rabies shot at the time of surgery. The only reason (besides lowered risk of cancer) I wanted to have her done early is because a family member of mine has a chi that wasn't spayed until 10 months. She came into heat and was miserable. It was also hard on the male chis in the family (they are all neutered, but they still seemed to notice she was in heat).

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Boys are different -- even though I think they need the hormones, the tradeoff of leg-lifting as a lifelong habit to me are worth neutering early (5 months).

10 months and 7 months are totally different ages...I'm not saying wait past 7 months just that you can pretty safely wait that long is all :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I waited till 5 months with Jazz, for the reasons that Kristi mentioned. My Vet would have done it earlier if I'd asked her to, but was of the same mind as me, that a later spay (but still before the first heat) gave the dog a chance to make full use of the hormones before they're taken away by spaying.

She said they couldn't have timed it better. Jazz's first heat was imminent, from the look of her female parts.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Definitely get her microchipped at the same time as her spay!!! That's a big needle and it annoys me to no end when the rescue I work with takes puppies to be spayed/neutered and then asks me to microchip them a week later. There was no reason to subject that pup to a big needle stick since they could have been done when they were under anesthesia!

I personally usually wait til 6 months for a spay but have had it done much, much earlier for rescue pups that are being adopted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts