Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Misty gets spayed beginning of May and Vet suggested she get the rabies shot at the same time. I told him that I didn't know if that would be a good idea and he is really good at listening to my concerns but he didn't see a problem with getting the shot at the same time. I'm feeling I should wait??? Also, It will be almost time for the dreaded heartworm meds. Which is the safest for small Chi's. I won't be getting one with the flea meds included.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Spaying is surgery and any surgery requires tremendous resources from the body to heal and recover. Vaccination compromises one's resources. If it were me I would space all that out so you are not overloading her system.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I agree with the above post. If you have a choice, wait. As for the heartworm medications, they have small doses for small dogs. If you have a problem with mosquitoes, then I'd use them. I don't use them, 'cause my dogs are really inside dogs and only go out when the weather is nice, and then only for an hour. I have them tested every year for heartworm. I know a lot of people think that I am wrong not to give the preventive, (including my vet), but it works for me. When I ask how many positives the vet hospital has, the answer is always the same. "well we have had some positives". Are these outside dogs? No answer!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks girls. That's what I was thinking too. as for the Heartworm, I would like to not give her any either. I'll have to give it some thought. we do get a lot of mosquitos around here. Just hate to give it to her. My last dog a Yorkie used to get a little sick day after she got hers and when she got older stopped giving it to her

1 - 4 of 4 Posts