Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: Hi all - I know different folks here have all had to go thru this and now that I'm starting to think about it, I can seem to find any recent posts. Reba is coming up on 6 months. We have had so many folks want us to breed her and everyone wants a pup. But the realistic side of me thinks, I ought to just go have her spayed and track down her breeder for other people. However, that doesn't lessen my anxiety about having the little cutie spayed. It is so easy to be worried - with them being that small and all. I know there are anesthesia tolerance tests the vet can do first. What ages did you all spay at - or why did you decide not to.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi will be around 6 1/2-7 months old when i get her spayed. i'm scared cause she is so small but i have also seen first hand what pyometra can do to such a tiny pup....

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Not spaying poses even greater risks to the life and health of your girl, from what I've read here in this forum. Both the dogs I've had on my own came pre-spayed so I never had to make the decision. However, I know I'd have taken the chance and had it done, purely to lessen or eliminate the likelihood of certain cancers occurring.

Having said all that, I'm sure there are tons of posts on the subject. Have you tried doing a search? Maybe someone else here can direct you. You will definitely get good information here, not to mention all the moral support you need. :)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Just remembre if you have her spayed before the first heat she will have an almost 0% chance of getting certain cancers in later life so its well worth it :wave:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor little Paris - how much does she weigh? Reba is probably between 4 to 4-1/2 lbs. I want to wait as long as I can, but I don't want her to go into heat either.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Bindi was spayed at 7 mos and was just 4 lbs she recoverd well but I do think she had too much anesthia as it took her body over a week to get rid of the side affects.

I did not know about a tolernace test, wish I had known that prior. I have been thru 3 vets and am not crazy about the one I have but she has been better than the others.

We are all here to support you as stated and the benefits will be well worth it :wave:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Trixie weighed 4lbs and was 6 months old when she was spayed. I was very nervous, but felt comfotable with the vet because she has much experience with small dogs. My girl was back to her old self within 2 days, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure they keep the females in the hospital overnight. Good luck and try not to be too nervous.

This goes for you too, Nat. :)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
Bindi was spayed at 7 mos and was just 4 lbs she recoverd well but I do think she had too much anesthia as it took her body over a week to get rid of the side affects.
OMG did you have to tell us that :? lol :wink:

paris is three pounds .....that's why i'm so worried . cosmo is 5 pounds and i know for sure he will do well ........
tomorrow will be a stressy day for me :D

kisses nat

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
Kemo's mamma said:
OMG did you have to tell us that :? lol :wink:

paris is three pounds .....that's why i'm so worried . cosmo is 5 pounds and i know for sure he will do well ........
tomorrow will be a stressy day for me :D

kisses nat
Bindi is real sensative, she did fine mind u just had the runs for a week and was disoriented for the first few days. DONT WORRY!!! I was just glad she can get the tolerance test cause next time, they cant dope Bindi up like that. Everything will be ok :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
wow, chiwi is real small compared to the others! she is just over the 2 pound mark at 5 months..... i wonder if i should wait til she hits 3 (hoping that will happen by the end of next month so i can get her spayed early.... i hate dealing with heats)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i think she will .......paris was just over two pounds at 5 months too, but she has really grown this last month .....she really has that adult body now...

kisses nat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts