Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Khorra was so good at the vets. I don't think she remembers the first visit because she was very happy and curious the whole time we were in the waiting room. She did really good with getting her nails trimmed and getting her shot. She didn't cry at all. She didn't care too much for the worming medicine though. She can go back when she is 12 weeks old to get her last set of shots and get her rabies shot. I'll be glad to have these done. I'm so relieved that she hasn't had any reactions to the shots. I'm kind of annoyed about them weighing her though. The vet tech weighed her first and said she weighed 24 oz and then the vet weighed her again when I asked about her weight and he said she weighed 33oz. That is a huge difference. I think I'm going to go buy my own scale and keep track of her weight with that. I asked about getting her spayed and the vet said that she can be spayed at 16 weeks. I thought that that was a bit young and she is so little. He said that when they are younger, that it's easier on them because they heal so much faster. What are your thoughts at spaying at 16 weeks?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
At that weight, I would hold off until she is older. She is tiny and waiting until she is six or seven months old will not harm her.

I definitely think this is more about her tiny size than her age.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That is too young for spay. I know rescues will do it before sending home but since you have the choice I would not. The rabies shot needs to come much later as well. Definitely not combined with other shots. I would not spay before 6 months and I would give rabies shot at 9-12 months.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
4 months is the minimum age that most vets will spay/neuter. I would hold off until she is at least 6 months old to give her time to develop.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
She has had 3 rounds of shots, correct?
They should have been at 8, 12 and 16 weeks.

I wondered as you mention at 12 weeks she would have her final set.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
I would wait til she is at least 6 months old for her spay, and separate her rabies shot by 4-6 weeks from her last distemper. This will give her immune system time to recover and could avoid a potential vaccine related reaction.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She has had 3 rounds of shots, correct?
They should have been at 8, 12 and 16 weeks.

I wondered as you mention at 12 weeks she would have her final set.
She has only had two sets of shots. I got her when she was 7 weeks old and the breeder hadn't given any shots at that time. I took her in right away and got her first set. Then I just did her second set today. I was told I can bring her in for her third set in two weeks but they wanted to wait until she was 12 weeks to do her rabies so they told me to just wait until then for them all. Are these the wrong ages to be doing these shots? She's gotten a Parvo and Distemper each time which is only one shot. Plus they've wormed her.

So now I'm confused. Do I go in in two weeks to get her last set of shots but wait until she's older for the rabies shot? I think I'll wait until she's at least 6 months old to get her spayed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spraying too early can cause incontinance! (Uncontrollable peeing)!! At least 6 months is the usual.
Ooh, I definitely don't want this to happen to her! I like the idea of her being a bit older to get her spayed. 4 months just seems so young to me.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I would get her last shots at 16 weeks. Try to keep her off the ground of public areas and sidewalks until then.

I would get her rabies shot at 20-24 weeks. Definitely not at the same time as her last puppy shots.

And spay her between 6-12 months, before her first heat.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I've read so many different opinions about when to spay...from earlier the better, better to wait until after first heat, better at 6 months. I read around the subject and decided on what made sense to me. It's a little different since I have a boy but around 6 months is what I'm thinking. Any younger than that seems too young to me. Some people say that you should wait for them to be fully developed sexually before you spay or neuter them but if you do it cuts down on a lot of the health benefits. Also wit Mylo I want to get there before he (hopefully) starts marking and such. Either way, in my opinion 16 weeks is too young especially for such a small pup just beware that there are a lot of different opinions out there. Saying that, I've found the opinions of the people on this site to be fantastic and often much better advice than from "professionals" because they've had lots of experience with their own dogs and Chis in particular. Good luck wit your vaccinations and whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My vet wouldn't spay or neuter either of mine before they were 1.5kg or 3.5lb. She actually wanted to wait until they were 2kg or 4.5lb but then I told here that 2kg was their estimated adult weight and she revised this down to 1.5kg. For Axle this was 5 1/2 months and for Chloe it was 6 1/2 months.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I've read so many different opinions about when to spay...from earlier the better, better to wait until after first heat, better at 6 months. I read around the subject and decided on what made sense to me. It's a little different since I have a boy but around 6 months is what I'm thinking. Any younger than that seems too young to me. Some people say that you should wait for them to be fully developed sexually before you spay or neuter them but if you do it cuts down on a lot of the health benefits. Also wit Mylo I want to get there before he (hopefully) starts marking and such. Either way, in my opinion 16 weeks is too young especially for such a small pup just beware that there are a lot of different opinions out there. Saying that, I've found the opinions of the people on this site to be fantastic and often much better advice than from "professionals" because they've had lots of experience with their own dogs and Chis in particular. Good luck wit your vaccinations and whatever you decide.
Toby was neutered at 6 months. I think it worked out well for us. And no marking!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Toby was neutered at 6 months. I think it worked out well for us. And no marking!

Thanks for your reply! There's so much confusing stuff out there on this, I thought 6 months sounded best but I'm glad to hear that it worked out well for you and Toby. I really trust and respect your opinion =)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
With our chi's being so tiny it is better to wait until after 6 months. They go into heat later than a large dog would, so if you wait until 6 or 7 months she is unlikely to have gone into heat yet. They have a decreased chance of cancer if they are spayed before the 1st heat.

I did Chloe's rabies with her last set of shots because I didn't realize they should be done separately. She did just fine though. I would say go back at 16 weeks for rabies. Some will say wait until many months later, but that wasn't practical for us since Chloe needed it to finish her obedience class. To use any service at PetSmart such as training or grooming they require rabies by 5 months. We may also need to board her eventually (hopefully not) since we don't have any family or anything who lives in the town we do. I didn't want thereto be an emergence and her not be allowed because she wasn't up to date on shots.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Odie was spayed at 9 months, and hadn't gone into heat yet. It is a fairly traumatic experience for some dogs and you want her to be as strong and healthy as possible. I'm so glad we waited with Odie, as she reacted very badly to the anesthetic and lost some weight anyway. I know a lot of vets want to do it right away, but some vets are also not that experienced with tiny dogs.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Also make sure that both little man parts drop. Sonny was only an uno at 5-6 months until about 8 months. My vet said with little ones it can take up to a year and if it still does not fall they will need to go in and find it.

Sorry trying to put it as G rated and as PC as possible. LOL :D

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Most shelters do a 'pediactric' spay at 8 weeks! I usually wait until 6 months for my pups though. Most states have a 'minimum' age for rabies vaccine. IL is 4 months. I am waiting another month to do Bonnie's rabies. I would definately separate the rabies shot from the puppy shots. At least a month.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts