Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read in my book 'living with a chihuahua' by Margaret Greening that the age to spay a female is 18 months ??? i thought you guys all did this earlier ?? i don't want paris to go into heat.....or have an accident with cosmo :wink: ...she's way to small to bare children.

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have no idea why they would suggest 18 months, unless it's to decide whether or not you want to breed.
If you know you are not going to breed, 6 months is the best age.

Even my Rotties were altered at 6 months way back when. They are both at Rainbow Bridge now. The vet has always told me 6 months is best.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
There are tons of different opinions out there on "when to spay?? The Breeder I bought Chloe from absolutely will not spay a female untill she has had her first heat. Chloe had her first heat when she was 14months old, she wore little panties and did just fine. I'm going to wait untill she is 18months old. I love and trust my Vet (most of the time). However, when it comes to living with and raising Chihuahuas----I trust my Breeder. She has over 25years experience with this wonderful breed. :D

sandra

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why

but why is it that she waits until she's gone in heat for the first time? if it's an advantage for her i would wait.....but i don't know why??

·
Registered
530 Posts
It was common practice for a long time (according to my boss) to wait until after one heat cycle to spay a female mainly to make sure they reach maturity properly I think but new studies have concluded there is no need for this. In fact, there was a study done that determined that every heat cycle a female goes through increases her chance of cancer. The first cycle increased the odds the greatest, it was something like 20% increase in females with one heat cycle and then 5% higher until about 4 and then no difference after that. They also mentioned that there was no apparent gain with waiting until after the heat cycle. I can't remember where I read the article but it convinced me that if I'm not going to breed I will spay right away. My vet recomends 7 mos for small breeds so that the teeth have all come in and they can tell if they need to pull any so they can do that at the same time as the spay/neuter.

-Jessi

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still confused!!

so from what i read here...it's definitely best to spay her BEFORE her first heat. i couldn't find an advantage to spaying after the first heat....but there has to be one right? why would they (writer + breeder) recommend it??? if it can reduce chances of cancer with 16 to 200 times less, that would be stupid?

kisses nat

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Spay before the first heat! There is no medical reason for spaying after the first heat. In fact, you shouldn't even breed chi's during the first heat cycle because they aren't fully developed and may not be prepared to carry a load or be pregnant. So SPAY before the first heat!!!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spay

ow sorry jessi i only read your second post first! now i know what to do....spay!!! :wink: :wink: that was the answer i needed to be sure!!

thanks everybody :wave:

kisses nat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts