Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently we found out we are moving to Japan, in August. Japan is a NIGHTMARE when it comes to importing pets, especially puppies...

In order to avoid any quarantein period upon arriving to Japan, Miya will need to have her microchip and rabies vaccines atleast 6 months prior to arriving. Which means, no later than February pretty much...

On Jan 6, she turned 4 months. She will be 6 months on March 2, which is about 30 days to late to keep within that 6month required period to avoid quarantein.

My question is, has anyone spayed their chi earlier than 6 months? She is 3lbs right now, probably slightly bigger than 3 lbs. I don't want to hurt her with that big microchip needle, so I'd prefer to do it when she's spayed and asleep..of course I'll talk with my vet but I'd like everyone input.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I've always heard that if they're spayed too young, they could have incontinence problems. I, personally wouldn't do it until she's old enough, but maybe other's can tell you what they think.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I needed to schedule the kitty for her spay and the pup for hers. Kitty will be done first week of Feb. The pup they put out until April or May ~ (not certain which). She was 3 months old Christmas day. As they are best friends and play mates I was hoping to have them done the same day so they would allow each other to rest and relax. They said there is simply no way to do that safely as the cat will come into her heat and they puppy isn't developed enough to have her spay yet so we must wait a bit of time before she can safely have the procedure. They want her immunity at it's best and to make sure all of her development is where it needs to be.

I too have always heard about the incontinence problem if done too early, while that wasn't specifically mentioned when I was scheduling a variety of other concerns were, so I scheduled her where they felt best.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I understand that in shelters that they do a 'pediatric' spay at 6-8 weeks old. That is mainly to make sure that the dog is spayed. Contracts do not work. So I know that is done, and some of these pups are tiny! I don't know how to advise you; I think that quarantine would be worse than an early spay. JMO Sue

·
Registered
311 Posts
When Susan mentioned pediatric spay, I googled it real quick and found this just because I was curious too...

Shelter Medicine : Pediatric Spay/Neuter : ASPCA Professional

It's at least something to read and discuss with the vet and I am sure there are many more article out there. The accuracy obviously I can't attest to, but regardless of the accuracy there would be points mentioned that you could discuss with a trusted vet and get the proper guidance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The shelter spayed mine a few days after I got her. I was told clearly that it would be a misdemeanor if I didn't bring her back for it. She was 5m and 3 lb 4 oz. She did ok but not as well as my boxer did when she did it at 6 months. I don't know if she's just more of a whiner or if it was the age or small size. That was almost a month ago and she's fine now. She was whiney and off for about a week.

Oh yeah, they microchipped her when I picked her up from the shelter. I didn't see her done but I saw the woman do her littermate when I was looking at her. She barely even winced!

·
Registered
145 Posts
each dog has their on pain tolerance, no two are the same. I had my 4 pound poodle spayed at 2 yrs old and she didnt want out of her playpen for 4 days. I had another lil girl spayed at 10 mo, 3 lb and she never missed a beat. Another at a year and 3 1/2 lb and she felt bad for 3 days. Her mother was spayed at 5 yrs and 5 lbs and she didnt do any better than the daughter. Just depends on the dog.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The chips are no big deal. I have seen many put in and put some in myself. MOST dogs are not even phased. Get the chip done, spay her later, after her 1st season if you can responsibly handle a season, if you can't, then spay around 7 months.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Hmmm, such a hard decision! We had ours spayed at 9 months (over 4 pounds), and unfortunately she had a long and hard recovery. Every dog is different, and it's impossible to tell how they'll handle it. If it was my puppy, I would probably get only what was necessary for avoiding the quarantine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wanted to mention too our Humane Society is running a Microchip special. For either $10 or $15 (I can't properly read the sign while passing it) you can have your dog chipped. They were at our local chain pet store this weekend with dogs for adoption & I did verify they are having the microchip clinics. Not sure but this could be offered at all of the Humane Society Locations so that might be an option for you or others.

They gave me a card to call and find out about it, I just haven't done so yet. But I do think it's great they offer the service very economically for folks who otherwise might not be able to afford it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts