Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a quantry. Should I spay Bonnie when she is 6 months (this Friday) or wait? She is now 3 pounds. Vet says any time is OK. (Not her worry!) I do NOT want her to come into heat. I had dogs long ago that did, and I ain't gonna go through that again! My breeder wants her to have at least 2 heats! "her knees will be OK then" (?) She thinks that the luxating knees are due to bone growth not being 'done' at 6 months.

Please help me make this decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,172 Posts
There are some here who show and breed who do recommend waiting until after first heat. It is for skeletal reasons. If we got another dog, I would consider it.

We spayed all of ours before first heat. Two at 6 months and one at 9 months. Each was 3 pounds on spay day.

My smallest who was spayed at 9 months was a breeze. She did the best of the 3. I only had one who had to be taken back the next day as she was not managing pain well. Other than that, all did well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,776 Posts
In the case of spaying, I think the benefits of spaying before the first heat outweigh the risks involved. I would get it done as soon as she was old enough and large enough, without question. But I think that is a personal choice.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
Personally I prefer to spay after the first season and allow the bitch time to mature. A Chi in season is pretty manageable compared to large breeds. Bambi's first season was a breeze, even with an entire dog around. (I had arranged for him to stay with family, but it wasn't necessary in the end.)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top