Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My little girl Josie is doing so good and not even 3 months yet! Went to the vet and she is in tip top shape. The vet recommends habing her spayed at about 6 months. It'll cost around $300-400 and she'll be kept overnight :cry: . i searched the posts and read whats available but was wondering about pros and cons. Iknow about the risk of mammary cancer dropping witha spayed dog, but has anyone heard of incontenance being a problem in spayed dogs? What questions should I ask? I am really worried and want to make the right decision.

Thanks
conny

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have never heard of incontinence with a spayed female. They sometimes tend to gain more weight if they were prone to gain weight.
But my theory is that if you are not planning on breeding, then spay. It is the best for the dog and good for you. If I am just buying for pet, then they are spayed.... :wave:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Wow, that seems like alot of money. Is that really the regular price for spaying? I'm just curious, I only paid about $100 for Mr.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I had Sandy spayed last Thursday the 12th.
She did way better than I expected. They wanted to keep her over night for observation. But I know for a fact that there is no one there at night to observe. LOL so I asked if I could bring her home that night. They said it is usually not a problem as long as the dog is doing well and it would be around 7:30PM. They did the surgery about 1:00PM. They called me right after the surgery and told me everything went well.
Then about 6:00PM I got another call saying she was ready to come home. They were gonna let me bring her home early because there was a storm comming.
They gave her some pain medicine right after they called me and she was a little dopy when I picked her up.
The next morning you would never have known she had surgery at all. She was running around and playing like normal.
They told me not to let her do any jumping and take her out on leash only.
Her potty schedule is a little messed up, I think maybe because of the surgery she can't hold it as long as she used to but as she heals it will return to normal.
If you are not planning on breeding your chi you should definatly have her spayed.
If she happens to get out while in heat you could end up with an unwanted pregnancy. Not to mention you will have no idea what kind of dog the father is and the puppys will probably be too large for her to pass and it could kill her.
You will also have every male dog in the neighborhood at your door when she is in heat because they can smell it from miles away.
You will be doing your dog a favor by getting her spayed if you are not planning on breeding her. Don't let YOUR fears stop you. It is best for the dog.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Normally you would take your pup/ dog in the day of the surgery. I know that they like to keep the pups/ dogs overnight after surgery, but I had requested to take Chile home after her surgery. She would not do well in a cage all night without mommy and daddy. She would be frightenend.

Chile had her surgery at 9 a.m. and I picked her up at about 5 p.m. that day. I also had to sign a release form in case something happened. My vet also wanted me to bring Chile in the very next morning for a check-up...and everything was fine.

As far as the cost of spaying... $300 - $400 is alot?? I paid $140 to get Chile spayed.

Hope this helps :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yes I have heard of incontinence being a problem, it is more frequently seen in girls than boys. It does seem like a rather high price. I think she should be done as other posters said. We will be here with you during that time :wave:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow...are you sure that it cost $300? I once adopted a puppy (although i returned her after a week) but the rescue lady told me that she should be spayed around 6 months and cost around $60-$120. :scratch:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I agree. If you're not going to breed, spaying her would be your best bet. Also, $300-400 is a lot higher than the prices around here. I was told it would cost around $140 to get Elle spayed. Perhaps you should check around your area for prices?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the price seemed high but I don't want to go to a butcher. My mom always went to this veternarian and I went there with my cat. I will double check on price maybe I misheard it who knows.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
conny said:
I thought the price seemed high but I don't want to go to a butcher. My mom always went to this veternarian and I went there with my cat. I will double check on price maybe I misheard it who knows.
That's why I got Mr. Peepers done at his regular vet. I only paid around $100 for him but that is the higher price in my area. The cheaper places only charge around $40. :wave:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts