Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im having my chihuahuas spayed this week. cookie on tomorrow and jj monday.i 've got baby vests that button inderneath to try and protect the stitches , i've set up a crate with blankets and made sure everything is all cosy.i'll be getting pain meds from the vet.is there anything i've missed cus i'm a bit of a mess right now worrying mostly about the anaesthesia and everything.i spent all night last night watching cookie sleep.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi I understand what you're going though, Daisy was spayed a month ago. I was terrified for the week leading up to it, and starting crying when I dropped her off at the vets!

Daisy was fragile for a couple of hours after her op, she laid in my arms and didn't get up. But then we cooked her up a little chicken (her favourite) and she perked up immediately. Ate the lot, and starting walking around. After that, we couldn't keep her still!

Having slept all day, she was wide awake and kept me up all night wanting to play!

The vets said to keep her from running and jumping, that was the hardest part of the whole thing! So hopefully that'll be the case for you with your babies.

You seem well organised. Daisy couldn't reach her cut so there was no need for covering her up in my case, but at least you've got the baby-vests for if yours can reach the stitches.

Good luck and let us know how they get on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
took cookie to the vets today got there and the vet told me they had to cancel the surgery because a emergency came in so they have reschedualed it for next week. thanks for replying. not looking forward to next monday but just want the worrying over.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ahh you got yourself all worked up and ready for it and now it's been changed. Sorry you're going to have to go through it all again :(

Let us know how monday goes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
hi im having my chihuahuas spayed this week. cookie on tomorrow and jj monday.i 've got baby vests that button inderneath to try and protect the stitches , i've set up a crate with blankets and made sure everything is all cosy.i'll be getting pain meds from the vet.is there anything i've missed cus i'm a bit of a mess right now worrying mostly about the anaesthesia and everything.i spent all night last night watching cookie sleep.
After the anesthesia, sometimes they get quite cold and lethargic. I kept a bottle of light karo syrup (NutriCal works too) on hand just in case Teddy became hypoglycemic after his neuter surgery. I also bought a PetStages microwavable toy for him to keep him warm. That seemed to really help him. It's made specifically for pets and as long as you follow the directions it won't get so hot as to burn them. It was just warm enough for him to snuggle up against under a blanket.

Petstages Puppy Cuddle Pal at PETCO

I would think that a shirt over her stitches might irritate them more, but I would definitely use it if you find that she's licking or picking at her stitches, or if you have to leave her alone. I was fortunate enough to be able to stay home with Teddy when he was neutered so I could just remind him not to bother his stitches whenever he tried. (He was pretty good about it.)

Even the boys are miserable the first day, and their surgery is much easier than the girls' surgery, so don't be surprised if she's snippy or mean (especially with other dogs) while she's trying to protect herself. They're all a little disoriented right after the anesthesia but it wears off after a while and then they're just sleepy and cold.

I brought a small carrier to transport Teddy come in. I figured he wouldn't want to accidentally move around in my lap during the car ride. Keeping them calm and stationary is probably the most important thing.

Can't think of anything else. :( They will be fine though! Just be optimistic for them and good luck on monday!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts