Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so im getting a little irate at vets charges lately.
Spaying is something they want to promote, as responsible owners etc - yet they are charging £200 MIN, plus the check ups before and after.
At first I didnt think about it, thats the charge and im going to pay it regardless.
The more I think about it the more I get mad that this IS still a lot of money for something that is technically only an 'option' for dog owners.

Especailly when I hear of other geographical 'areas' that seem to charge less, so it must be possible for these vets to perform the procedure for less cost?

Some people have said they know Pets at Home stores in UK whom do it for around £80, or Manchester Dogs Home for £60 - but these arent local to us and the cost of getting there etc would probably add up with checks?

Luna's been at the vet just about every week since she had Puppy Strangles, they look at her, say 'yes shes doing fine', in and out in less than 90 seconds and its £28....thank god she's insured but still its a lot of money for 90 seconds (earning £3 per second lol!) and could easily put people off, imagine if we had to pay £28 per doctors visit.
I want the best for my dog but im getting slightly frustrated that the vets could possibly be playing checks out for as long as possible with 'weekly' visits...and I suspect they might do the same with spaying.

So are these vets near me in a minority or is everyone roughly paying £200 now? (Im North UK)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm in the south west, and I was charged £170, which included the spay, medication, microchip, and follow-up visit.
£200 for just the spay seems a lot. Have you checked other vets in your area?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Ive phoned 3 local vets, £150-£200 (the £200 was the price that included blood checks etc before)

We were reg at another local vet but we tranferred out of there so I wouldnt like to go back.

We've already paid for their Microchips at £25 each.

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:i think alot more people would spay/neuter if prices were more reasonable.even here in the usa-where u can get a voucher-you still have to have transport to the location n a fee IF youre lucky enuf to get one.when i was working as a vet tech i always wished i could become a vet n save 1 day a week for sliding scale fees if a family made less than a certain amount.some people in the vet business have gotten very greedy:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
imagine if we had to pay £28 per doctors visit.
LOL... come to America, $43-$44 for DR visit would be AWESOME!! lol

anyway, I understand the charges... this last surgery Chico had, mind you it was more than a spay BUT the surgery cost is $1,000.00 US per HOUR! plus everything else on top of that!! as you said, thank goodness for Insurance...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose they know owners have to pay it so they can really charge what they want, whos going to stop them :( (Like petrol and everything else that seems ridiculously priced these days..very annoying.) but with spaying it is only an option so they should be promoting it.

I knew of a lady that helped rehome the strays or dogs on death row, she was on benefits and got others on benefits to pretend the dog is theirs just so she can have them spayed at a vets for cheap to rehome them. Tragic that shes doing the right thing for the dog, but by an underhanded means.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I paid $90USD to spay my girl and $80 for my boys neuter, so around 57ish pounds? I didn't get before blood work on either I don't believe but they were both perfectly fine. Didn't need any medicine or anything afterwards. My vet is very inexpensive, I heard him quote a lady the other day about her dog having leg problems? I'm not sure what the issue was, something with the growth plate but to fix it + anesthesia/blood work + x-rays it was going to be right around $200 and she was STILL griping.

Sorry to hear about it, it's definitely the best option I think, but it's unfortunate it's so costly.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Our vet prices are high here too. A spay would be between $350-$400 which includes everything on spay day & a follow up appt. A vet visit...you're looking at a minimum of $40 just to be seen.

And I agree with Jan...we have health insurance for our family but we still have to pay a$25 copay or $150 copay on ER visits! That's after paying weekly for it! (and that isn't cheap!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
My vet charges $50USD for spays. She is low-cost. But she is also low-volume and the best vet we've ever had. We're very lucky. She goes by weigh for the pricing though.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My 2 big girls were spayed at the same time. Their bill was for spay, all pain meds, microchip and nail trim. It was a total bill of $315 or 199.74 pounds (from an online converter).

Office visits are cheap. Like $20-$30 or 12.67-19.01 pounds.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i've had my Yorkie, Peyton, for alittle over a year now. Before my freind Joan sent her here from Alabama, she asked me if i wanted her spayed and i said yes, so she did. Its alot less expensive in the southern states. i think it was only around 90 dollars.
Here, were i live theres a big range for spay depending on where you go. there are places you can go for low cost spay... maybe around 150. and alot of Vet Practices charge alot more, around 300 or even alittle more.
For my girls i would feel more comforatable paying more money and go to someone i trust. They are my babies and i want the best for them

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I got mine all done at a low cost place. I get a $20 off voucher from SPCA, then send them to the low cost place and it costs $45 for a male with rabies included, and $65 for female, rabies included and they stay overnight. If I want a chip inserted, it's $10 more. The only one I can't send there is Twiggy, they won't take her because of her size, less than 3 pounds, and her disability. So I am still trying to find a vet to do her. If I go through my regular vet, it will be $250 and they don't give the rabies or keep her overnight.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Our vet prices are high here too. A spay would be between $350-$400 which includes everything on spay day & a follow up appt. A vet visit...you're looking at a minimum of $40 just to be seen.

And I agree with Jan...we have health insurance for our family but we still have to pay a$25 copay or $150 copay on ER visits! That's after paying weekly for it! (and that isn't cheap!)

Wow! That is expensive for a spay.

I paid $148 for Penny. That included:

$95-spay with 2 days worth of pain meds plus a pain shot before surgery

$35- Microchip

$18- Rabies shot

I did go to a low cost clinic though. Some people have said that low cost clinics don't give pain meds, but mine did and the vets were very experienced with small dogs.

However, my regular vet charges $52 for an office visit. That vet is one of the less expensive places in town.. I have looked into a holistic vet, but the office visits are almost $100.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
$105 for Baylee's spay, no teeth pulled, no microchip. $36.50 for her pain medication.

So...
$141.50 for simply the spay & pain med.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have both 2 of my older girls done 2 months ago. The spaying cost was £180 (with the discount because of the #s of pets I have got and I have 20% off every time when I need the vet), the price was including Metacam for the pain relief and 2 after care check up ( 3 days and 10 days after the op), removed any baby teeth and ID chip. If my vet asked for more, I still will pay for the service as they are one of the best hospital in the country. I put my faith on them for years and I wouldn't even consider going to Pets @ Home when I hear so many horror stories about them, even probably different branch is different.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm not sure how much it would cost me to spay Bijoux at our vet alone because our vet offers a "puppy plan" for aprox 564 PLUS tax we got

-all shots including 2 bordatella and 2 others one that started with an L. Basically all relevant shots plus a few
-complete check ups at each visit (about 5 were up to now)
-4 weeks of puppy socialization
-First complete check up
-Spay w/ over night, blood work, pain meds sent home
-check up after spay

I'm paying 65$ to have her chipped while she's spayed and also paid everything in instalments which means when she's spayed a week yesterday It's already paid for yayy!

That was the best deal I could get I thought it was okay everything included.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts