Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if spaying my chi at the age of 7 months old is good? she's never been in heat? :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Absolutely-the sooner the better. As Gadget's mom said, spaying before they go into their first heat gives them even more protection from problems later on. However, you should have it done soon as possible if she is 7 mo. now, as she could have her first heat cycle any time now if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took Chibi in to speak to the vet about what would be a proper time to spay her. In the past I have always had my females spayed before their first heat, but my vet recommended that since she is 3 pounds at 6 months that we should wait until after her first cycle. She said that there aren't to many other breeds that she worries this much about. But because Chihuahuas vary so greatly on size and maturity rates that it's best to evaluate each one individually. Chibi is also looking like she may be starting to swell a touch so she might be working towards her first cycle any way.

We rushed her into the vet this week, thinking she had been injured by an insect bite... come to find out she is simply teething.. never have I seen a dog react to teething like she did... It's hard to believe they can be teething and hit their first heat cycle all at once..... Thank god I'm not a dog :lol:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My Chloe just turned 18months and has been in heat only once?? She weighs 3lbs 3onces. I just have not had the nerve to take her in to be spade yet. She is just soooo tiny and I "wimp" out everytime I start to make the appointment.. :roll: I know I need to do it!

sandra

·
Registered
32 Posts
Spaying the dogs is really in their best interest but it is hard to do any form of elective surgery..... Can anyone reply to this topic telling us how your Chihuahuas did after the surgery?

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Spaying/Desexing is a way of protecting cancer. Cancer in the reproductive systems. So i'de get her spayed for sure. I hate it when my girl is in heat and I cant walk her. -.- It wasn't the nicest experience the first time. I almost had Cocker Spaniel X Chihuahua puppies to look forward to.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
O.K I will make an appointment next week........I think? :) Boy, do I need moral support on this one. My little Chloe, only 3lbs going under the knife. :(

sandra

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sandra, I feel your anxiety, but if you are confident in your vet, then you should have no worries. If a vet is unwilling to perform surgery on a 3lb dog, I'd start looking elsewhere for another surgeon (might be a great vet, but inexperienced surgeon). Perhaps somewhere that does surgery on avians or exotics, as they are accustomed to doing surgeries on "small" animals. We do pediatric surgeries on feral cats, and have spayed/neutered many a small breed dog less than 3lbs with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I really don't think that increasing your chi's chance of reproductive cancer by a huge amount is worth the wait. Prior to the first heat, spaying reduces the chances by ~99.9%, after the first heat, about ~80%, after second heat, ~60%, and after that it's ~50% or less. For me, it helps to see the surgery not as elective but necessary and as the one single way you can guarantee to add years to her life.

sjc if you have any questions about the procedure feel free to give me a call! Just PM me =)

-Nate

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
sjc said:
O.K I will make an appointment next week........I think? :) Boy, do I need moral support on this one. My little Chloe, only 3lbs going under the knife. :(

sandra
You know we'll be here for you. But really, you need to know what a big favor you're doing for Chloe so that should make it a bit easier to take.

Easy for me to say... Lily was already spayed when I got her, but I do hold my breath when she goes for her dental surgeries. I completely understand your fears.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Thanks! I already feel better about it. I know deep in my heart it is the right thing for my precious Chloe. I love her so much! I like the Vet I'm using now, He is extremely brilliant and a genuinely caring man. The best part-- he is only 4minutes from my house. However, my absolute favorite Vet is way out in "Claremore" which is about 40minutes from my house. :(

He is a graduate from OSU Veterinary School and a very skilled surgeon. He has a very good reputaion also....just have to make up my mind?

Rachael---Your Lily reminds me a little of my Chloe....tiny and fearless! :)

sandra

1 - 13 of 13 Posts