Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing different things from different people regarding when I should get my Lola spayed! She's 5 and a half months now and initially I thought to get her done before she comes into season at around 6 months old. But now I hear that I should let her have one season first!!? Why is this!? And is it true!? I don't really fancy waiting, but if there are definate medical advantages then I will. Also what age should they come into season for the first time!?

thanks
Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
It really is better to get them done around 6 months before they go into heat. It lowers the chance of breast cancer.

That's just an old wives tale or myth about waiting until after the first heat.

There have been some posts explaining the chance of cancer after each heat. Do a search on the board and you'll find them.

I think normally a female can go into heat for the first time anywhere between 6 and 12 months. Not positive on that though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My vet also said the best time is around 5-6 months before they go through heat. I guess that is a myth about having to go through heat first. Pixie will be 5 months at the end of Sept. and is being spayed the beginning of October.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts