Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am wanting to make sure that I do everything I need to keep Button happy and healthy. She is our 2nd ever Chi, so am still a newbie. She is also smaller than any dog I have ever seen, let alone cared for! At two years old, she weighs in at a little over 2lbs on a full stomach :D
Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of?? I have noticed that she seems to get very cold very quickly, is this due to her size or is there something wrong?
Her foster mom had her on 2 meals a day, so I have kept up with that, but I wonder if I should split her portion into three meals?
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Terry & the Pocket Princess, Button :coolwink:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Awww buttons sounds a little doll!!
I would say just get her a few jumpers so she doesnt feel the cold.. my 2 always wear a jumper out coz they hate the wind! and lots of blankets in her bed so she can snuggle up! but chihuahua`s always seem to shiver and shake when their not cold so she might be ok!
If shes ok with the 2 meals aday then i would prob stick with it or if u do feel better at splitting it to 3 meals it wont hurt as long as its the same amount as she would normally get and ur not over feeding her :)
Sounds as if your doing everything right :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I agree with Amy above Dottie is a tiny one and i always put a coat on her,you can also buy a snugglesafe it's round and you put it in the microwave to heat up then goes in the dogs bed under the blankets,keeps warm for hours.Amazon i think does it

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
She is so small that it may be a good idea to keep some Nutri-Cal, Karo syrup or honey around just in case she has any Hypoglycemia issues. Is she very active? Sometimes when the tinies over exert themselves they can also have Hypoglycemia issues. Just keep an eye out for Lethargy or her not acting herself.

She is a little doll! :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
If it was me I would probably switch her to three meals a day as you mentioned, just for a bit of peace of mind-particularly if youre going to be away from her for a few hours at a time and cant keep an eye on her. Two pounds seems to be the "magic number" that once theyve reached that weight theyre at less risk to become hypo, but I think I would worry anyway.
My only experience with having such a little one is when mine were still young puppies, and I would probably treat her as I did them even though she is mature know- keeping a close watch, putting up a babygate if you have stairs to keep her off of them, etc.
Hopefully some more of the tiny owners will chime in soon with better advice for you! Ive noticed several people mention having a bell on their collar so theyre easier to keep track of :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI all,
Many thanks for the advice :) It looks like I will be able to play "Dress up" with her and have a valid excuse LOL
I will also add NutriCal or Karo syrup to the shopping list.

She has moments of running around like a little nutter with the Muttley Crew, then she does kinda "crash and burn", I will make sure to monitor her more closely from now on!

I also need to look into purchasing a "Snugglesafe" for her as it is starting to get colder here as our Autumn approaches.

Our thanks again :)

Cheers
Terry & The Pocket Princess :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts