Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people have suggested to me that it is better to wait until Bijoux goes into her first heat then spay her afterwards for her own health.

I do have some reservations with this

1) I have a male golden Retriever (fixed) I afriad that her smell could still bother him true?
2) Im worried that if she has a heat it's would be a bit meaner to spay her afterwards since it's like starting the clock then stopping it kinda thing...

Either way she is going to be spayed she can't ever have puppies since she is a merel.

Has anyone ever heard of waiting till after a first heat?

·
Registered
141 Posts
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

I would read this, lots of great info.

From my point of view i'm going to leave Isabelle to have at least 1 season. Here is a clip from the link I just posted. As you can see, way more negatives to spaying than positives. This is my personal cholice, however your choice may be different after gathering your own research....

"On the positive side, spaying female dogs
• if done before 2.5 years of age, greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumors, the most common
malignant tumors in female dogs
• nearly eliminates the risk of pyometra, which otherwise would affect about 23% of intact female
dogs; pyometra kills about 1% of intact female dogs
• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas
• removes the very small risk (≤0.5%) from uterine, cervical, and ovarian tumors

On the negative side, spaying female dogs
• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
common cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis
• increases the risk of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma by
a factor of >5; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds
• triples the risk of hypothyroidism
• increases the risk of obesity by a factor of 1.6-2, a common health problem in dogs with many
associated health problems
• causes urinary “spay incontinence” in 4-20% of female dogs
• increases the risk of persistent or recurring urinary tract infections by a factor of 3-4
• increases the risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, especially for female dogs
spayed before puberty
• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract tumors
• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations"

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Due to my own experience I wouldn't wait. I would have it done ASAP. I wanted to wait until after Zoey's first heat but I almost lost her to pyometra. It was a horrible thing for both of us to go thru. That is just my opinion.....due my own experience. I will never wait again.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Due to my own experience I wouldn't wait. I would have it done ASAP. I wanted to wait until after Zoey's first heat but I almost lost her to pyometra. It was a horrible thing for both of us to go thru. That is just my opinion.....due my own experience. I will never wait again.
How old was Zoey when she had Pyometria? My fear of surgery is keeping me from having Midgie fixed. I'm so glad you caught it in time. I think Zoey is one of the prettiest chis I've ever seen, but I'm partial to white chis anyway. Haha

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have done it both ways. Pinky was fixed before her first heat and she did the best recovering from surgery. Bailey and Oreo was older. Bailey kept having false pregnancy symptoms and even after her spay it took a year before it stopped. It was heartbreaking to watch. She seemed to be in more pain than pinky was. If I ever get another chi I will have her spayed as soon as is possible.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey got it with her first heat at 9 months, it was a risky spay due to the infection and she lost alot of blood with it but it had to be done to save her. She was full of puss and infection.

How old was Zoey when she had Pyometria? My fear of surgery is keeping me from having Midgie fixed. I'm so glad you caught it in time. I think Zoey is one of the prettiest chis I've ever seen, but I'm partial to white chis anyway. Haha

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Wow!! Only 9 months?! This scares the daylights out of me! I never heard of Pyometria til I found this site. How come vets don't mention nothing about it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Personally, I would only spay her after her first heat cycle. When I get my own puppy and neutering him is my own choice, I'll wait until the growth plates are fused together (after sexual maturity).

That being said, there are always risks either way you go.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I think it all depends on your vet, Zoey also had endometritis on top of it. It was pretty scarey.
That is why I love this forum. My first chihuahua I had for 22 years and I still learn new things all the time. And also get great support from the members here. I feel as I have made some great friends.

Wow!! Only 9 months?! This scares the daylights out of me! I never heard of Pyometria til I found this site. How come vets don't mention nothing about it?

·
Registered
407 Posts
My Sparkles was spayed b4 her 1st heat by her breeder b4 i became her Mom. For health reasons I beleive it is safer for the puppy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts