1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
St Patricks day is coming up, 17th march
people it is not ST PATTYS DAY, us irish hate it being called that,
its PADDYS day, id love to know whoever started calling it pattys day,
id knock them out with some shamrock or send my personal lepracaun to let them know.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Wow, I never knew that Amanda! I thought it was St. Patrick, so people shortened it to Patty. I had no idea it was really St. Paddy's! Thanks for the heads up. ;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well said. Amanda, I'm an Irish Dance teacher here in the states and hate all that Lucky Charms stuff. Oh, and my son is Tommy PADDY. :)

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I never knew that, Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have Irish in me, My great grandma was full Irish :D I didn't even know it was St. Paddy's I also thought it was St. Patty's shorten for St. Patricks that seems like where it would be normal for somebody to think that lol At least I did oops!! lol I'll remember not to say that now hehe

·
Registered
327 Posts
I thought of you today: I was in Walmart looking at cards and they all said "St. Patty's Day". I wonder if it's just butchered American english? Like the way we spell color instead of colour or favorite instead of favourite?? I had my sister redo my sig to say Paddy instead of Patty, but haven't uploaded it yet lol. Funny thing is, neither of us shorten it, we just say Saint Patrick's Day. XD

Just had a revalation: "paddy" is an Irish person? Not short for Patrick, right?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I knew it! LOL I'm married to a man who is half Irish half Swedish, as a result I have a very Irish last name.. LOL

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi our last name is patrick and everyone calls us patty the holiday is taken in honor of the Saint Patrick i didnt know about paddy i just thought thats how an irishman would pronounce patty thanks for teaching me something new

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok! paddy is short for patrick, patty is short for patricia. in ireland anyways.
we say paddys day to shorten it. any one that gives up booze for lent gets a reprieve on st patricks day, same if the kids give up sweets they get to eat some
shamrock shakes are in mcds already, i dont like them reminds me of toothpaste!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Amanda, i'm glad you made me aware of that, i never new how incorrect it was to call it St. Pattys Day. i will now correct people when i hear this :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
i have emailed hallmark, im going to make this my mission now.
hahah this is funny!! Good for you, put them right!
My Grandad has irish in him and he is called patrick but Paddy for short.

Cant beleive people know of it as St.Pattys day, ive never heard that before!
We just call it St.Patricks day :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts