Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new on the forum and I'm hoping to get some advice. I've fed raw a little bit in the past but it was with much larger dogs. I recently acquired my first Chihuahua, which I am planning on showing in conformation and hopefully agility. I would really like to switch her off of kibble and on to raw but am not sure how to do it with such a small breed of dog. Lira is about 4.5 months old and weighs about 2.5 pounds. Any advice is welcome, I'm leaning towards pre-made but would consider other options. Also any advice on supplements would be great too :)

Thanks in advance,
Tracy Beman

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hi Tracy

I have raised two pups on raw one was put on it at about 10 weeks the other 12 firstly bin the kibble then do a straight swap!!!

Pups take really easily to it if you're going to use pre mades make sure you do a few bone meals a week to clean their teeth and stimulate them!

Post pics of your pup please we love them!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say "bone meals" do you mean just a raw bone for them to chew on? Is it ok for a dog that small to have raw bones? I've known dogs that have gotten foreign bodies from eating raw bones so I worry about that a bit :(

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes it's fine as long as the bones are raw, there is ground bone in pre mazes it's an essential part of a raw diet (calcium)

I always supervise mine just invade they decide to inhale a bit but their stomach acids are made to digest bone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew there was ground bone in the pre-mixes which is why I feel more comfortable feeding them. What size RMB would be appropriate for a Chihuahua? I'm guessing a chicken wing but is there anything else people out there give?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts