Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really want to train Mimi go inside. She hates going outside in the rain and it snows here in the winter. She is an adult but we have only had her almost 6 months. She was not housetrained at first. Initially, I just took her outside a lot but now she will let me know when she wants to go outside. And she rarely has an accident anymore.

I tried crating her when we got her but she hates the crate with a passion and would never use the pee pad I left in there when we weren't home. I don't want to use clay cat litter. I have cats and they use the Tidy Cat Breeze system of pellets with a pee pad. I don't expect her to share the box with the cats, but if she'd use it that would be great. She already uses it as snack place if we didn't scoop it before she sees it. My cats like to scratch up and play with the pee pads ( the ones I left out of Mimi to use not the ones for their litter boxes) so I'm not sure what to use now.

Do you think I could train her to use the Tidy Cat Breeze litter box the cats use? I have 2 boxes in the house she has access to, the cats have another 5 boxes Mimi can't access unless I let her on the enclosed patio.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Never tried litter training. Pellets for cats---never heard of that one either. I have used pellets when the cat was declawed for a short while. Cat didn't like it!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no, my cats are not declawed, I'd never do that. It's sort of like the Feline Pine boxes I think. Except it's pellets in the top with a pull out tray underneath that holds the pad to catch the urine. The peep just flows past the pellets into the pad below. I love the boxes because you just scoop the poop when they go and toss the pee pad once a week. It smells a lot less than clay litter boxes IMO.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
My pet crew is doggy door trained to go outside to potty but my show and breeding dogs are all litter trained to use wood pellets (we use wood pellets made for pellet stoves...basically same thing as feline pine but a LOT cheaper. Most if mine have been trained since puppies but older dogs can be easily trained in a couple weeks. Not sure you pup would be crazy about my "system" of training. But basically i keep them penned in an area small enough for a bed and litter box...that's it. Bring them out to cuddle and play (supervised) but then right back in the pen. I have successfully litter trained several adults this way. Once they catch on they really don't have any issues. Our puppies leave us at 12 wks fully litter trained. It really is SO much easier and makes them So much more reliable than when I've worked with per pad training. By far.

Good luck no matter what you decide to use!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
This sounds great, especially in light of your positive experience with it. What kind of box do you use? Anything special or just a tray that isn't too high for chis to step in easily? Thanks

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
This sounds great, especially in light of your positive experience with it. What kind of box do you use? Anything special or just a tray that isn't too high for chis to step in easily? Thanks
I actually LOVE the stackable toy bins you buy at Walmart (they have different colors) because there are 3 raised sides (especially handy for boys but also so there is minimal poop "over flow") I take of the handles because I'm paranoid of them hanging themselves. Since they have holes in the 3 sides...I buy heavy duty contact paper from Lowes/Home depot (you have to make sure it's the thick stuff!) & put a layer on both the front/back as well. I have & do use larger bins or even bigger litter boxes as well for my bigger pens for more dogs/puppies.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Thanks! After hearing from so many who swear by litter box training, I think I'm going to make the leap. One more question, the wood pellets, do they have a pine odor? Well, maybe 2. Do you think the chis are actually more comfortable going on the pellets than a pee pad? Thanks for your thoughts. I love being able to get info and advice from people like you who know SO much more than I ever will about chis.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think you're ever going to get Mimi to associate the cat litter box with her potty if she uses it as a snack (foraging) area.

Why not try using pine shavings! It naturally absorbs smell, is very cheap and easy. The only issue you're going to have is pine shavings around the house, but if you have kitties you're already dealing with the litter! :laughing6:

I had my husband build our chihuahua's "litter" or pine shavings box and we keep it in the garage. If you don't have a garage you can put the pine shavings box near the outside door or in another place that's isolated and "on the way" to going outside.

Steps:
1. Get a litter box that's only about 1"-2" high (easy for her to get into) and wide enough for her to sniff and turn around in many times. Our litter box is probably 2'x3'.
2. Put the litter box outside first. Fill it with pine shavings and start bringing her outside and into the litter box. Try to encourage her to potty in the litter box outside.
3. I know it's gross, but try collecting some of her poo from outside and placing it in the litter box to help her understand that this is the new place you want her to go.
4. Once she starts pottying in the litter box (it may take a while for her to understand) gradually move the litter box closer and closer into the house until it's where you want it to be!

My chihuahua chooses her litter box over a rainy day, any day!

Good luck!

·
Registered
931 Posts
... if she takes well to this training method, she will learn to associate the "pine shavings" smell with a place she wants to go potty. This way you can gradually make the box smaller, or create some "pee pads" with pine shavings in them. Smell is very important in a dogs understanding of their world, and pine has a very distinctive smell. That is why I find pine shavings easy in the potty training process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts