Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my hubby and I were talkin, and I told him I really want to start my own small business. I'm only 19, so I dunno if I'll have any chance at getting a loan and things like that, but this is something I really want to do. If anyone has every started a small business or have any business education, I could really use your advice. Should I do all this on my own? Should I go to a lawyer and ask for help? This is all brand new to me. Thanx for any help you might be able to offer! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt talking to a lawyer just to get information on how to do it and what all you need to do... or a business consultant


good luck and God bless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
I had this thing about opening something...but I have no clue were to start or what to do.. :D What kind of business were you thinking?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
What kind of business are you wanting to start? Some take much more start-up money than others. Otherwise it isn't too hard, just remember there aren't any paid days off, there aren't any paid vacations, there's no health benefits, there's no matching retirement benefits. I like it but you have to have the right kind of personality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to start a business selling pet supplies...like dog and cat food, little accessories, things like that. but not like the stuff they sell at wal-mart or petco or anything, kinda like the kind of food and accessories you can only get if you go to independently owned pet shops. i want to open one up in a location around where i live, because there aren't to many stores like that...i have to travel like 10 miles just to get to one, so i think its a good opportunity. and because i will be able to bring chico to work with me every day. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
I would talk to a lawyer only to make sure you are doing everything legit in your state, everywhere has it's own rules and regulations. Also I would recommend you go to your city hall and ask them for the right forms to fill out for your own business and forms also for your business name, just to make sure it isn't already taken (don't want to get sued :shock: :wink: ). And then start looking for distributors that would be willing to distribute through you, then you could purchase things at wholesale. And if you get a tax id then you don't pay tax for the goods because your intending to sell the items and the customers of your store would be paying tax.

But I think its great that you want to open your own business. I say do it...and GOOD LUCK!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...I'm going to check out the small business gov't website, then i'll talk to a lawyer and get everything started...probly in a few months after i move into my new house. i think out of all of this though, the hardest part will be trying to come up with a good name...lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,578 Posts
a lawyer or a simple accountant..can relly help you with everything legal.
i'm dreaming of an own business too ...but it's so dangerous here in belgium. good luck !!!

kisses nat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,015 Posts
Due to your young age, there may be some government programs available to you to help with start up funds. check with your state employment agencies, they will know. good luck !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,852 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
I want to start a business selling pet supplies...like dog and cat food, little accessories, things like that. but not like the stuff they sell at wal-mart or petco or anything, kinda like the kind of food and accessories you can only get if you go to independently owned pet shops. i want to open one up in a location around where i live, because there aren't to many stores like that...i have to travel like 10 miles just to get to one, so i think its a good opportunity. and because i will be able to bring chico to work with me every day. :D

sound like a good idea , not sure about where you are but here
in the UK I think small independent pet shops are really important
it's great to go into a shop and ask & get good advice :)

And to be able to take your baby to work is always great :D

Best of luck ( if you do get it started ) I always believe if you have
a dream and can try to live it ' go for it ' :)

Sara xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
There is a book (geesh I forget) its $40 on how to get $$$/loans etc etc especially since you are a woman. The basis of this book is that people have money out there to give to people (kinda like scholarships) and it doesnt have to cost you. I have the book but I dont know where hubby put it, I was going to open up a dog wash place.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KB mamma said:
There is a book (geesh I forget) its $40 on how to get $$$/loans etc etc especially since you are a woman. The basis of this book is that people have money out there to give to people (kinda like scholarships) and it doesnt have to cost you. I have the book but I dont know where hubby put it, I was going to open up a dog wash place.......
I started writing down some basics last night about what I want to do. Is the book you're talking about from that guy thats on the commercial with those question marks all over his suit? And he's jumping around acting all hyper and he keeps saying "FREE money from the gov't!"? Cause if so, I was thinking about getting that book, but I don't know if they sell it in stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
KB mamma said:
There is a book (geesh I forget) its $40 on how to get $$$/loans etc etc especially since you are a woman. The basis of this book is that people have money out there to give to people (kinda like scholarships) and it doesnt have to cost you. I have the book but I dont know where hubby put it, I was going to open up a dog wash place.......
I started writing down some basics last night about what I want to do. Is the book you're talking about from that guy thats on the commercial with those question marks all over his suit? And he's jumping around acting all hyper and he keeps saying "FREE money from the gov't!"? Cause if so, I was thinking about getting that book, but I don't know if they sell it in stores.
OK i got it, its FREE MONEY to change your life, by Matthew Lesko and we got it in Barnes and Nobles, I can sell you ours if you want, I never even opened it up, meaning its in mint condition. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, thanks KB mamma. I'll ask my hubby about it and see what he thinks. i won't be looking into financing for a few more months...we just bought a house and i want to be all moved in and secure before i start talking to lawyers/accountants and stuff like that. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rachael Polachek said:
I have absolutely no advice to offer but I wish you the very best. I hope every dream comes true for you. You seem like such a nice person, you have your head screwed on straight and you love your little guy. That's enough for me. :)
Awww, thank you so much. This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. I've always wanted to do something with my life that involved animals. Some day, maybe years down the line, I would really like to get into starting my own rescue group or SPCA type of shelter for animals. I just wish I was a millionaire so I could do it all now :lol:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top