Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my dogs Natures Variety frozen medallions since Nacho was 9 months and Cheeto was 4 months old. They are now both over 2 years old and I have decided to start raw feeding as the NV is $13 here for a bag that lasts them 9 days if they get it exclusively; I had to start feeding kibble for breakfast and the NV only for dinner when I wasn't getting enough hours at work to afford the NV every week.

I started feeding them raw chicken on Friday by giving them a drumstick each and letting them work on that until they were full. I then put the leftovers back in the fridge for the next meal. I don't know if they are eating the right amount as I don't have a kitchen scale at the moment (I bought one on Amazon and it said it should be here on Thursday). I used the calculator and it says that Nacho needs 1 ounce twice a day and Cheeto needs 1.5 ounces twice a day, I just don't know how much that is just doing it by eye. Can someone help me with this?

Also, Cheeto seems to just like to eat the bones mostly and I noticed that his poops are crumbly. I gave him a meaty meal tonight and he seemed to not like it as much. He took a few bites and then left it. Cheeto only finished it later on because Nacho was trying to take it after he finished his meal. How do I make sure Cheeto is getting the right percentage of meat and bones?

Thanks for the help. :D I am excited about raw feeding the real way but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Crumbly poops mean too much bone. So cut back on that. A drumstick is probably too much. An ounce is about a tablespoon or the size of an ice cube. Not much at all. You are probably overfeeding a tad. ;)

NV is bone heavy so try not to add more bone on top of that. You could probably do NV in the morning and just boneless meat chunks in the afternoon. That way you could skip the kibble and you'd see more of the raw benefits. Add in a bony piece a couple times a week for chewing and teeth benefits and you should be good to go.

If Cheeto isn't a fan of meat without the bone, then try a little tough love. Leave it down for 15 minutes. If he chooses not to eat, then he will be hungrier tomorrow. Picky eaters are made, not born. He will learn to eat what he is given.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the help. I'm actually going to stop feeding the Natures Variety. How much bone does Brody get a day? He looks to be the same size and build as Nacho so I could probably use that as a guide and then adjust as needed.

And Cheeto eats the meaty parts eventually but he just takes a while. Should I still pick it up after 15 minutes

Also what are the best parts of the chicken to get at the grocery store for a beginner? I don't really buy meat for myself except ground turkey or frozen boneless chicken breast so I have no idea about meats.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I do cornish hens mostly for bone content. I buy a 16 ounce one and then whack it up into about 8 chunks of bone/skin/meat. I give him one piece every couple of days and fill in the rest of his meals with boneless meaty meals (lamb, bison, beef, rabbit, sardines, whatever I have). One chunk is 2 ounces so that is a meal for a 5 pound dog. Some require more, so just go by body condition. Brody has been really active lately, we are taking walks every day since it's nice out, so he is getting about 4 ounces a day.

Watch stools too. What goes in, comes out. So if you do several boneless meals in a row or do an egg or organs, you will get soft serve stools. Just do a bony meal the next time and it will correct. You won't get exact same stools every time like you do with kibble. As long as it's not projectile watery diarrhea, just adjust bone content up or down as needed.

If he's still working on it, don't pick it up. It takes some dogs a long time to eat. If he walks away or acts disinterested, then throw it in the fridge for tomorrow.

I'd start with cornish hens. Do a couple weeks of them (the bony chunks interspersed with just chicken meat meals in between - debone a thigh or cut up a breast). Once his stools are good and he's eating well, then you can gradually add in other proteins. I recommend pork next. A few bites at a time, then go from there. Go slow. NO rush. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Read the labels and be sure and get hens with no added sodium. 100mg per 4 ounces is about standard or less if possible. The poultry industry likes to inject a salt solution into chickens/turkey to plump it up and and add weight and tenderness. Our dogs don't need that extra salt (and we dont' either!).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Watch stools too. What goes in, comes out. So if you do several boneless meals in a row or do an egg or organs, you will get soft serve stools. Just do a bony meal the next time and it will correct. You won't get exact same stools every time like you do with kibble.
This is so true. My wife rolls her eyes at me because I'm always on about the quality of stools. Is it too hard? Is it too soft? Was it too gassy? Something new every day. I had to laugh the other day when she brought the bag home to me after a solo walk because she thought that I'd want to inspect it! :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts