Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm thinking about starting the RAW diet for both of my dogs in about a month or so - giving me a little bit of time to do some research and ask questions, as well as finish up there bags of kibble. I read the sticky post on the RAW Food Forum Section and got a lot of helpful tips from there. I noticed that you guys said to start on chicken and transition to other proteins, such as red meat, cornish hens, etc. Can you only start them on chicken? Also, do you ladies have scales to tell how much you are giving your pups or just "estimate" the ounces? I used the calculator that is posted on the sticky thread and it said that Ote should get .64 ounces total per day or .5 ounces per meal. How many times a day should I feed her the raw meat? With kibble, she eats about three times a day and always still seems hungry. Do I have to transition her off the kibble onto the raw diet - similar to the transition from one kibble to another? Once the dog is settled into the raw diet, do you change up the proteins everyday, once a week, once a month? Any tips that you can give a "newbie" would be very helpful and appreciated!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Hello! I'm thinking about starting the RAW diet for both of my dogs in about a month or so - giving me a little bit of time to do some research and ask questions, as well as finish up there bags of kibble. I read the sticky post on the RAW Food Forum Section and got a lot of helpful tips from there. I noticed that you guys said to start on chicken and transition to other proteins, such as red meat, cornish hens, etc. Can you only start them on chicken?

Chicken is usually recommended as it is bland and easily tolerated.

Also, do you ladies have scales to tell how much you are giving your pups or just "estimate" the ounces?

A tablespoon is about an ounce, as is an average sized ice cube. I measured until I felt comfortable eyeballing it. You can use a scale if that helps!

I used the calculator that is posted on the sticky thread and it said that Ote should get .64 ounces total per day or .5 ounces per meal.

What does Ote weigh? That seems like a very low amount. Brody is 5 pounds, an adult, and eats about 2 ounces in the morning and 2-3 ounces in the evening. Half an ounce per meal seems really low to me. That would be literally one bite.

How many times a day should I feed her the raw meat? With kibble, she eats about three times a day and always still seems hungry.

I feed twice a day. You can do once a day if you prefer. It's up to you.

Do I have to transition her off the kibble onto the raw diet - similar to the transition from one kibble to another?

No, I would go straight to raw. Finish the kibble if you want and get it out of the house. Then start raw the next day.

Once the dog is settled into the raw diet, do you change up the proteins everyday, once a week, once a month?

Once they are fully transitioned you can feed through the proteins however you choose. Some people will do a week of chicken, a week of pork, a week of beef, or you can even feed a bite of each of those at the same meal. Entirely up to you.

Any tips that you can give a "newbie" would be very helpful and appreciated!
Go slow. Don't rush. Don't overfeed. Don't panic. ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your detailed answer! I appreciate it. Ote is 1.8 to 2 lbs. (depending whether she has a full belly or not, LOL! I put "2 lbs." into the diet calculator. Would it be okay if I gave Ote 5 4-5 oz. a day, do you think? The amount the calculator gave me seemed really small to me as well. I'm probably going to split the amount and feed her twice a day. I think I'm going to change proteins once a week once she's transitioned. I read that transition should take about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. How exactly do I transition?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thank you for your detailed answer! I appreciate it. Ote is 1.8 to 2 lbs. (depending whether she has a full belly or not, LOL! I put "2 lbs." into the diet calculator. Would it be okay if I gave Ote 5 4-5 oz. a day, do you think? The amount the calculator gave me seemed really small to me as well. I'm probably going to split the amount and feed her twice a day. I think I'm going to change proteins once a week once she's transitioned. I read that transition should take about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. How exactly do I transition?
ooooh she's a teensy tiny one!!!

4-5 ounces would be way too much food for a 2 pound dog. That's what Brody eats and he is 5 pounds, more than twice her size.

I'd probably start out with an ounce twice a day just to make sure she's getting enough to eat. So about a tablespoon or an ice cube twice a day. Definitely try cornish hen parts. At that tiny she is going to need something small. chicken ribs would work as well for bone content.

Transitioning from kibble to raw is easy. Finish the kibble. The next day start raw. Never look back. LOL.

You will want to keep her on chicken for at least 2 weeks. Make sure she's eating well and maintaining her weight and having good stools. Then you can add in other proteins one bite at a time. I usually do beef next, then pork, then novel proteins (anything else you can find... goat, lamb, quail, venison, etc.)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two ounces sounds much better than .5! LOL. I felt like she'd be starving with the little of an amount! I'm going to start her on raw tomorrow, my decision has been made :) LOL. Thank you so much for the measurement tips. That's what I was really nervous about, but you cleared it up! Also with the "what comes next" chart! So much useful information. I keep on finding new questions to ask - what about do 10% bone and 10% organs look like? What organs are safe to feed? Should I give her organs/bones right away, or stick with just meat at first? LOL sorry I have so many questions - a lot of the articles I'm reading aren't giving this info very clearly! Plus you've had experience feeding raw for a while!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Puppies are fed more. You feed puppies according to their projected adult weight. Some people do 10% of the puppies current weight. But yes, they get more. :)

10% bone looks like 1/10 of the food you are feeding. Not much at all. But remember it is balance over time and you can be bone heavy at first. You will WANT to be bone heavy to keep stools firm until she is fully transitioned. She is small so chicken wing tips would probably work great for her. Get some chicken wings. Cut them in 3 sections (or just cut the wing tip off) and put in a baggy in the freezer. Before you give her one, you can cut off the hanging skin/fat with scissors. Then it's basically a little cartilage, a little bone with some skin. Perfect for firming up sloppy stools.

Chicken necks and chicken feet work great for bone content as well! Just let her gnaw on a foot or a wing and take away after she's gnawed on it for awhile. At only 2 pounds, it's going to take her awhile to get through it.

You will be feeding bone-in chicken or hen pieces right away. If you feed chicken meat only, there is no fiber to firm stools, so she will have loose stools. Bone is what keeps the stools firm.

Organs come last. You will be feeding 10% of the diet as organs. 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ such as kidney. This won't be for at least a month.

Here's a cute video of Benny the chi puppy going after a cornish hen! It's about the same size as him! :)

Sometimes it helps to see other dogs eating their raw food.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tracy, how did you get so smart about all things dog? Do you only have chi's? I am always impressed with your knowledge.

I appreciate all your advice. Paco is getting some beef this week. He is doing very well with all raw.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Tracy, how did you get so smart about all things dog? Do you only have chi's? I am always impressed with your knowledge.

I appreciate all your advice. Paco is getting some beef this week. He is doing very well with all raw.
Aww thank you! What a sweet thing to say. I just love learning and researching. I used to show dogs years ago, both obedience and conformation. Also did therapy work with Molly, my standard poodle. I was active in our all-breed kennel club and on the board of directors for many years. So I was immersed in the dog show world and most of my friends were dog people. :) As time went on, and my kids got older, I gave up showing. My dogs got old. They passed away. We didn't have a dog for 3 years. Then when our youngest left for college I knew I wanted a dog again. That's when Brody came along. :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
OMG, LOL as I am reading through the posts I come across my widdle boy Benny with his first cornish hen :))))

Here's a cute video of Benny the chi puppy going after a cornish hen! It's about the same size as him! :)

Sometimes it helps to see other dogs eating their raw food.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Aww that's my Benny!

Mary J
Mary, I LOVE that video!!!!! That is so great! For many people, actually seeing a little chi puppy eat raw is incredibly helpful and reassuring! I'm dying to see more pics/videos of little Benny! He is adorable. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thank you Tracy :) I will add more video's as soon as I can figure out how too on this forum, LOL.. I'm on my iPad which is making it harder too :)

BTW, I love Brody's coloring! Gorgeous! How old is he?

Mary
Brody is 3 1/2. I started him on raw when he was about 4 months old. Never looked back. :) I wish I would have known about the raw diet years ago as I'm sure it would have improved the quality of life and health of our other dogs through the years.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You and me both, Tracy. I lost my bichon, Maggie to kidney disease at 6 yrs old. She was my heart doggie... That was 11 yrs ago now. I have learned so much over the yrs about raising healthy dogs. And she was my teacher :). Although, I didn't start out with the way I am feeding now. I used to feed a premade diet, mainly Nature's Variety. It's only been about a couple of yrs that that I have been feeding whole pieces, more frakenprey I guess you'd call it. I love that there are now All Natural Breeders raising healthier pups and not pumping them with all the vaccines that aren't necessary.

Mary

Mary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.