Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chloe is 10 weeks old, and we weren't having great success with pad training. But we've only had her for a week, so we weren't worried about it. My boyfriend and I decided to start rewarding with treats when we got her to potty on her pad. We started this on Sunday night and she's used the pad all by herself every time and only went on the carpet once since then! It's like it just clicked with her all of a sudden when we started giving treats! I know she's young and bound to have plenty of more accidents, but I've seen such HUGE improvement that I had to come brag about her!

Since the treat thing is working so well so far, what kind of treats do you recommend? I don't want her eating some crap that's imported from China!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
That's awesome news! She's still young too and you've only had her a week, so if she's already catching on, it sounds like you have a fast learner.

So far I haven't been giving Gemma treats when she uses her pad since the ones I got her she isn't really interested in. I just praise the heck out of her and hug her and kiss her and say "Good girl, Gemma! Potty on the paper!" She gets very happy and excited. So far since the first time she used it and I praised her, she has used her pad all night and all day on her own. I've watched her to make sure she wasn't going to walk off to the other side of the room and she just goes to her pad and does her business on it. She is 10.5 weeks old.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's awesome news! She's still young too and you've only had her a week, so if she's already catching on, it sounds like you have a fast learner.

So far I haven't been giving Gemma treats when she uses her pad since the ones I got her she isn't really interested in. I just praise the heck out of her and hug her and kiss her and say "Good girl, Gemma! Potty on the paper!" She gets very happy and excited. So far since the first time she used it and I praised her, she has used her pad all night and all day on her own. I've watched her to make sure she wasn't going to walk off to the other side of the room and she just goes to her pad and does her business on it. She is 10.5 weeks old.

Yes I just used lots of praise with Charlie as well and it has worked like a charm if he does make a mistake I say shame on you bad boy that's not where you go. You go on the puppy pad and I put him there. For the most part he's very good hasn't make any mistakes for a few days now. He loves getting all the praise and hugs and kisses.its amazing how smart they are at such a young age Charlie has already learned how to climb up on my bed. When they want something bad enough the sure figure it out fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts