Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feed this food? I was looking at the fat content and it seems very high. I am concerned that this might cause pancreatitis if fed continually?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the freeze dried for my two maltese dogs today. We haven't tried them yet, so no feedback as of yet. I did the reading on them though. Just don't feed a lot in a daily basis. Control the amount of feeding to your dog's requirement. I've read that some suggest feeding a little less that what S&C suggests for weight in a general guidance.

Having said that, everything I read about S&C was positive feedback from consumers :) all the best!

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh and this is one comment I read about the feeding.
The only thing that worries me is that people may not rehydrate them with plenty of warm water. Much too high of protein to not reconstitute with plenty of water. You could easily raise the liver enzymes in a dog with undiagnosed asymptomatic MVD. And on top of that, really stresses and overworks the kidneys.
So we are going to use plenty of water for the malts and because I had this plan, I searched up further and found another feedback from another person who uses this food for his dog:
Here are a few tips with the freeze-dried Stella & Chewy's Dinners:

The freeze-dried can be rehydrated either in a bowl or on a plate, whichever you prefer (I use a bowl).

Rehydration goes faster if the patty is broken up and then the warm (NOT hot) water is poured over and then mixed.

Do not use hot water as it will begin to cook the product, thus lessening the nutrients and cooking the raw bone.

Water should not be much warmer than a baby bottle (test on inside of wrist).

Do not microwave as it will have the same effect of beginning to cook the product.

Feeding guidelines are just guidelines...they're neither too high, nor too low. You may need to adjust them based on your dog's needs.
I thought of sharing along what I read and learned :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I feed the Stella and Chewys freeze dried occasionally. Brody likes the dandy lamb flavor the best. I have never heard anyone complain about too high of a fat content. It's an excellent food.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I feed the Stella and Chewys freeze dried occasionally. Brody likes the dandy lamb flavor the best. I have never heard anyone complain about too high of a fat content. It's an excellent food.
I was just going to start a thread on these as I picked up a sample of Beef and my two loved them. As a regular they eat Great Life Grain Free Chicken with Ziwi Peak Venison so I want to add a little true red meat to their diet as even their cookies are freeze dried Chicken. Since everything including the kibble is basically freeze dried raw I thought this might be a good addition. Thoughts? Is a mix of protein best?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I was just going to start a thread on these as I picked up a sample of Beef and my two loved them. As a regular they eat Great Life Grain Free Chicken with Ziwi Peak Venison so I want to add a little true red meat to their diet as even their cookies are freeze dried Chicken. Since everything including the kibble is basically freeze dried raw I thought this might be a good addition. Thoughts? Is a mix of protein best?
Yes! A mix of protein is definitely best. Each red meat has a different nutrient profile. Chicken has the least amount of vitamins/minerals. Some dogs will develop allergies to a protein that is fed repetitively so rotating proteins is a very good idea.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Yes! A mix of protein is definitely best. Each red meat has a different nutrient profile. Chicken has the least amount of vitamins/minerals. Some dogs will develop allergies to a protein that is fed repetitively so rotating proteins is a very good idea.
Awesome thank you! Huly is allergic to everything but poultry so most of our shared stuff is Chicken as he steals to dogs stuff to torture them. What are the best protein out of lamb and venison as my two love both of those in Ziwi Peak. Also Bison is just jerky ok or should I try to add a little if it to?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Jerky is nothing more than fresh meat that has been cut into strips & dehydrated, not modified or processed in any other way. So, whether it be organ (I do liver & kidney this way), bison, beef, lamb, duck etc. it retains the exact same natural properties, including protein levels, it had when fresh, except it's now devoid of water content - nothing less, nothing more.

The scary part of feeding dehydrated is that, if I ground up the Jerky I make from 4 1/2 pounds of beef, I believe I would end up with not much more than a cup of jerky dust - yep, such a huge amount of meat ends up being almost nothing by the time the water is removed, hence it's super easy to overfeed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have read people's concern about high fat content ( Small dog owners mostly)

You will read small dog owners mention about the too high of a fat content in places like the bellow examples
Stella & Chewy's freeze dried food is higher in fat and protein than most foods. It should not be fed as the main ingredient of the diet of a small dog especially where there is concern about the pancreas or kidneys. The frozen form of S&C is much lower in fat and protein. I feed the freeze dried only when it has been re-hydrated and only occasionally. S&C's is a high grade food but the freeze dried is a concentrated form.

Your dog was probably able to live with the ingredients of the dog food but the addition of the pig ear pushed him over the edge. Hopefully he is doing much better by now.
Yours isnt the first dog Ive heard of on here that got pancreatis and eats Stella and chewys

This website where I got the above quote from: Pancreatitis and dog food? - YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.