Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would try some Stella & Chewy Freeze-Dried for Chico...I bought the Lamb, Duck Duck goose, and Beef Dinner.... it says to soak in 1/4 cup of water but Chico won't even sniff it when I set it down.....

am I doing something wrong?? I hear stories of how their doggies just LOVE this brand but Chico turns his nose up at it........ :foxes15:

Help!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What does he normally eat Jan? I can't remember. If he's on kibble, the S&C won't have much smell in comparison. Maybe sprinkle on just a bit of parmesan cheese on top to get him started. The lamb is Brody's favorite by far.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I feed about 1/2-3/4 patty 2x a day. I chop it up into 3-4 pieces then add some water cuz it soaks up better that way. After its soft I DRAIN the water all out then mash it up, add supplements, then feed! My girls scarf it down like no other!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I tried the cheese thing last night... had to HAND FEED Chico before he would get started but he did eat it all........ forgot the cheese this morning and Chico won't even look at it...... *sigh*.... guess I better go find that cheese again.......

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You could always try tough love Jan, if you want. Just put it down (with or without a sprinkle of parmesan) and let him choose to eat or not. 10 minutes should be enough. If he doesn't want to eat, then put it back in the fridge and NOTHING at all to eat until dinnertime. After a couple of missed meals, he will choose to eat. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, after getting tired of hand-feeding Chico for a few days... I just thought this brand wasn't for Chico but I opened a bag of the Beef and tried it tonight.... he eat it without hand feeding!!.... I guess he just doesn't like Lamb.... poor Chico.... I guess it was like me getting force fed Liver n' Onions for a week.... PLECK!! I will get rid of the lamb and feed the Beef now.... I still have a bag of the Duck but won't try that flavor for awhile...

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Awe Chico thinks its yucky!

LOL when we travel, I tend to feed it dry. They love it and think it is a biscuit. Leah is sooooo picky when we are out at shows, she will NOT eat it mixed with water but she'll eat it dry like it's a treat.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
My dogs love it, but then again I use the S&C Dandy Lamb FD patties as a treat straight out of the bag (not rehydrated). I am positive my pack would love it just as much rehydrated as a meal. I wonder if soaking it in a Nupro/Missing Link and water mixture might be more enticing.

Faith, who HATES green beans, absolutely goes gaga for green beans when they've been cooked in chicken broth. Of course I strain the beans out before serving them to her but they still have the flavor left behind.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Where can i get the Stella and Chewys and the ZP at the best price?. Any website that you like best? Also how long will freeze dired keep not refrigerated?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Where can i get the Stella and Chewys and the ZP at the best price?. Any website that you like best? Also how long will freeze dired keep not refrigerated?
There is no need to refrigerate the freeze dried patties. All S&C patties come with an expiration date but we have never had any trouble using it up well before the date. Don't have a bag in front of me but I think it's typically 4+ months from when you buy it.
The most affordable way to feed S&C is to buy the FROZEN kind, they are half the price of the freeze dried. The frozen ones look like little hamburger patties. I put all the patties mine will eat in a day in a ziplock in the fridge the night before and they are ready to eat the next day. I wouldnt keep them thawed in the fridge more than 48 hrs. You can use their site to find a store near you that carries them. If none do, look for a natural/holistic/specialty pet shop in your area and ask them to order it for you. I have several shops locally that gladly order it just for us at no extra cost. I pay a little less than $15 for a 3 lb bag of the frozen which lasts us exactly 7 days. Im feeding three, it would last one chi about 3 weeks depending on how much you need to feed.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You're welcome! I don't feed ZP but I bet there are plenty of links if you search around the forum to sites that carry it and deals. You may want to ask a local specialty pet shop what price they could get if they ordered it for you, my natural pet food store here is always happy to take special orders and it might be cheaper than having it shipped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts