Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&C is basically the only thing that Lion will ALWAYS eat, no matter what(besides raw of course). He sometimes eats his ZP, but since I add water to it whatever he doesn't eat goes to waste(it gets soggy and gross).

I feel like I am spending a fortune for stuff he only eats sometimes, and he needs to gain some weight. I have been trying to give him nothing else, but he will just pick at the food, even when he hasn't eaten for days. I don't mix anything in to try and entice him, because if I do he just picks out the good stuff.

So I am thinking of just doing mostly S&C with some raw meals in between, since I know he will always eat it. Has anyone figured out the cost of feeding the frozen vs. freeze dried patties? I am unsure which one would be cheaper. I can get the freeze-dried online for $25 a bag, or in the store for $29. I don't know the cost of the frozen patties because I have never bought them before.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The frozen is significantly cheaper than the freeze dried - I think it's about $17 for the 'same' amount of frozen food as the $25 freeze dried.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The freeze dried has all the water removed, so technically you are getting more food so wouldn't it be a better deal? With the frozen, you are paying for the moisture?

Not sure, just throwing that out. ;)

I think you'd have to do a side by side comparison and not look at the volume in the bags. I know when I use the S&C I use the freeze dried. I usually feed 1/3 of a patty at a meal (mixed with a pinch of ZP or a tablespoon of canned). A bag lasts me foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Tracy - but the products aren't compared/sold by weight? so like the large bag of small patties feeds my guys longer than the large bag of freeze dried patties because there are approx the same # of patties in both bags, and the same amount of food is required (1/2 a patty per dog, etc)...we leave the freeze dried for our pet sitter when we have to go out of town and leave the dogs and it's always an 'ouch' on the wallet.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The sizes are... 3 lb. (approximately 32 small 1.5 oz. patties) in the frozen or (16 oz. (approximately 32 small patties) in the freeze dried. But they go through the same 'amount' of the freeze dried as they would the frozen. So Bryco gets 1 patty at breakfast, frozen or freeze dried. SO we would use either bag in the same amount of time, therefore the one that was cheaper, is cheaper? I hate math lol. Hopefully that makes sense? Am I crazy lol?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I found on their website there are 60 calories per freeze dried patty or 65 calories per frozen patty...so really there is just about the same amount of food in the 32 patty bags, whether freeze dried or frozen :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I found on their website there are 60 calories per freeze dried patty or 65 calories per frozen patty...so really there is just about the same amount of food in the 32 patty bags, whether freeze dried or frozen :)
Oh that's good to know!!! Wow, that's not very many calories is it? I wonder how many calories our guys should have per day? :confused:

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I did the math and this is what I figured out.. Lion and Penny would each need 2 patties per day according to the S&C website. A bag of the small frozen patties would last 8 days if they only ate that. If I bought the large frozen patties, a bag would last me 12 days. Those patties must be huge, because it says they would only need 1/2 a patty per day. That seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Frozen is definitely cheaper. I've only fed samples of the freeze dried because we got them for free but it would cost WAAAY too much to feed the freeze dried.

Missy...the large patties ARE huge. Mine eat 3 patties per day all put together. :) They're bigger and much much thicker than the small patties.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frozen is definitely cheaper. I've only fed samples of the freeze dried because we got them for free but it would cost WAAAY too much to feed the freeze dried.

Missy...the large patties ARE huge. Mine eat 3 patties per day all put together. :) They're bigger and much much thicker than the small patties.
Thanks! I just got the small patties for now because I wanted to get a couple different flavors, but next time I will go with the big ones.I am feeding less than what the package says, because 2-3 patties seems like a lot of food to me. I gave them each 3/4 of a patty for a meal- we will see how that goes.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Oh yes the freeze dried here are literally twice the price, I get both from the same store and its 29 for freeze dried and 14.95 for the same size bag in frozen. I keep a bag of freeze dried on hand for times when we will be going away or the odd time when I forget to thaw patties in the fridge for their dinner.
All three of mine loooove the food and its gentle enough that Reese and Leo dont get tummy upsets as they do on other foods. That said, I find it soooooo hard to put any weight on them with Stella and Chewys. So much so that I was feeding Miley twice the patties as the other two and she was still skinny so I started giving her Orijen at every other meal. I got her to a nice weight quickly that way but she was getting bloaty from kibble so I stopped and the weight has slowly creeped back down now that shes on S&C only. I was giving 2/3 of a patty twice daily and have upped it to 1 per meal for each for winter, but theyve all stayed quite trim. I have actually been considering getting a bag of Ziwipeak to use as a topper to try and bulk them up a bit. I would like all three of mine to gain just a few ounces, but it just isnt happening. It might just be my guys though, and maybe it wont be an issue if youre also giving Lion raw at other meals.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Not to change the subject, but since some of you briefly mentioned the amount of S&C patties you are feeding to your dogs, then I guess I will change the subject for a moment!

How much S&C should I be feeding for one meal? I see some of you feed 1/3, 1/2, a full patty, etc. Does it depend on what the rest of their diet is like? Does it depend on if you are JUST feeding S&C, or if you are feeding S&C and kibble, or S&C and raw? I feed Fromm kibble and S&C. Is half of one patty enough for one meal? Or, should Roxy be getting one full patty for each meal she eats S&C? She's about 4-5 pounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts