Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Cries*

I just cannot for the life of me get my head around feeding Raw :foxes15:

I know its 80% meat, 10% bone & 10% organ.... but I can't figure something like that out. I'm crap at maths I cant do percentages :( How do I even begin to work it out? Do I just add up his total meals for the week then try and figure it out from that figure, or?? I feel so stupid :foxes15:

Sarah did a great menu for Louie, but I still want to be able to understand it myself.

I just want to know how many organ meals, how many bone in meals and meat meals he will need in a week. And do I just feed bone meals one day, meat the next? Or can you give say meat in the morning then a bone in meal at night? I think I read somewhere organ can be fed alongside either meat or bone in.

I just so badly want to understand it all! D'oh!

Oh and I also want to know about starting him off on raw. I know it has to be chicken, but like how? How much meat and much bone in meals?

Its all soooo confusing! :sad2:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I find it very hard to work out also, thats why I am switching to premade RAW, I have put mine of B.A.R.F. Hope you sort it out soon :( I know 1st hand how confusing it is

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I think yours stressing out too much

Work out his weight in ounces then work out what 2% of his weight is and then what 80% of that amount is 10% etc etc

It doesn't have to be exact I go by their stools tbh and prob one in 3 meals is a bone meal unless it's organ days whereby meals before during and After are Binet

If you can't get your head round it still get a pre made like the rabbit one (omg can u do that with ur rabbits I forgot :/ sorry) from woldsway which is the whole animal minus fur and supplement a few meals a weak for RMBs for dental health

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yeah, like Sarah and Manda said - you could start out with a pre-made if you wanted to ease into it. Don't stress! :)

I don't know if you have cornish hens over there (they are small chickens that weight about a pound) but I started Brody out on those by whacking it up into 8 pieces of meat and bone chunks and then feeding through it. Each piece was about 2 ounces. Or you could start with chicken necks or wings. Just give him a section of a chicken wing, then some boneless chicken meat for dinner and repeat the next day.

Over time you are aiming for the ratio of mostly meat, a little bone, a smidge or organ. And believe me, if you can feed yourself - you can feed your dog. Do you eat totally balanced meals every day? I know we don't! You are looking for balance over time. Some people do a bony meal like a chicken wing and then follow it with several boneless meals and then add in a bony meal again. Just stay with chicken for the first couple of weeks and you will add in other proteins and the organs later.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think yours stressing out too much

Work out his weight in ounces then work out what 2% of his weight is and then what 80% of that amount is 10% etc etc

It doesn't have to be exact I go by their stools tbh and prob one in 3 meals is a bone meal unless it's organ days whereby meals before during and After are Binet

If you can't get your head round it still get a pre made like the rabbit one (omg can u do that with ur rabbits I forgot :/ sorry) from woldsway which is the whole animal minus fur and supplement a few meals a weak for RMBs for dental health
Yep stressing way too much, can you tell? :(

The menu you did us is great. But i'd love to be able to chop and change bits. Would it really be as simple as changing the meat? Like instead of a chicken wing say a pork rib? And use the menu as a sort of guideline that way?

Does it really matter if they get exactly 10% organs etc?

What do you mean pre made? Like I just feed him the whole rabbit or??
How does that work? RMBs shouldn't be a problem but how does that work alongside pre made? I was looking at woldsway and I have to say feeding rabbit wouldn't bother me (does that sound bad on my bunnies? lol) as long as its headless and furless and doesn't 'look' like a rabbit its fine. I figure it would be nice for him to have variety rather than just chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, pork etc. Vennison & rabbit i would love to try him with as its a bit different. To be honest he probably wont care as long as its edible!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yeah youn can chop and change what you want when you want depending on what you can get!

Ohhh poor bunnies haha I actually feed rabbit and have to tell my daughter it's turkey ahahaha shhhhhhh hope she never reads this

Trust me over time they will get the amount I've gone weeks forefront to give them organs or if they'd had upset sumacs so I just feed them a bit more when I rembe
A pre made is a mix that has bone meat and organs in already you just alternate with RMBs for dental
Health and
Mental stimulation!!!

You'll be fine

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
premade is everything that is needed all ground up and packaged fresh then frozen, I just thaw mine out and feed.
Whole rabbit etc, is whole pray and yes I do believe you just feed the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, like Sarah and Manda said - you could start out with a pre-made if you wanted to ease into it. Don't stress! :)

I don't know if you have cornish hens over there (they are small chickens that weight about a pound) but I started Brody out on those by whacking it up into 8 pieces of meat and bone chunks and then feeding through it. Each piece was about 2 ounces. Or you could start with chicken necks or wings. Just give him a section of a chicken wing, then some boneless chicken meat for dinner and repeat the next day.

Over time you are aiming for the ratio of mostly meat, a little bone, a smidge or organ. And believe me, if you can feed yourself - you can feed your dog. Do you eat totally balanced meals every day? I know we don't! You are looking for balance over time. Some people do a bony meal like a chicken wing and then follow it with several boneless meals and then add in a bony meal again. Just stay with chicken for the first couple of weeks and you will add in other proteins and the organs later.
Thank you Tracey :)

Yeah youn can chop and change what you want when you want depending on what you can get!

Ohhh poor bunnies haha I actually feed rabbit and have to tell my daughter it's turkey ahahaha shhhhhhh hope she never reads this

Trust me over time they will get the amount I've gone weeks forefront to give them organs or if they'd had upset sumacs so I just feed them a bit more when I rembe
A pre made is a mix that has bone meat and organs in already you just alternate with RMBs for dental
Health and
Mental stimulation!!!

You'll be fine
Yes poor bunnies! Will have to make sure they aren't looking when I feed him it ha ha

Ok panic over, i've screwed my head back on properly now ha ha

If I chose the pre made route how would that work? Just feed the little patty things and give him some raw bones to nom on every few days? I think to be honest i'd rather feed proper raw than pre made but I guess its always an option. What sort of bones would you give with premade? Like chicken wings and pork ribs etc?

What pre made brands are the best?

premade is everything that is needed all ground up and packaged fresh then frozen, I just thaw mine out and feed.
Whole rabbit etc, is whole pray and yes I do believe you just feed the whole thing.
Me no likey whole prey. I'd feel wierd feeding him a mouse or a chick. Meat is fine though as could be anything ha ha

·
Registered
455 Posts
I find it really hard too, sigh. I wish god had just made all the animals in raw feeding percentages in genesis, so that they were all 80:10:10 meat, bone and organ. That would have been useful.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Lmao a chi couldn't eat a whole bunive fed chicks before would deffo again

I'd try the woldsway rabbit one natural
Instinct do a chicken and bone with no veg so just add about 4oz organ a week

Any edible bone lamb ribs pork chicken not sure if you've seen the size bones I let the girls chew they're some bark of a pig hip
Maybe and sometimes spine!!

Ahahah Hollie he did make all animals in those ratios just a chi
Could never chow on an entire cow

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You've gotten good advice but don't go too fast!! You can EVENTUALLY feed all those other proteins, but start him out on chicken ONLY for at least 2 weeks. Whether that is a pre-made or you work through a real chicken. Don't add in organs yet. Just plain old bone-in chicken parts or a pre-made that is one variety such as chicken. Dont' mix it up yet! Once he's doing well on the pre-made or the do it yourself chicken, then you can GRADUALLY add in other proteins OVER TIME. Like one bite of pork with the chicken meal. Then the next meal he gets two bites with the chicken, until he's eating a whole meal of pork. Once he's good on that, then you can do beef. Then venison or rabbit or whatever other animal you want to feed.

Just go slow. It's not a race. You have the time to go slow. You will minimize digestive problems by going slow. Let him have time to slowly adjust during this transition time. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Excellent thread for beginning raw feeders. I am new to raw feeding too, and took Tracy's advice on getting a whole cornish hen and chopping up into about 8 pieces and feeding that. We have week 1 down now, and starting on week 2. So far, she threw up once, but other than that everything looks good, and I am beginning to feel like it is not as hard as I was making it out to be. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yay Petra and Daisy Mae!!! Awesome. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks, Tracy, :) I just hope her skin and coat improves once we get going on raw. She is supposed to be a longhair, but she doesnt.. She looks nothing like the pic I have on my siggy. That was before her allergies. :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have heard true miracle stories of dogs with allergies doing so well on raw. Zoey is a great example, she has done so well with all of her problems after being on the raw diet. I hope that Daisy has a similar story!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
My middle name is Petra just had to add that in other than the blue Peter dog I'd never heard it before so there you go

Do you give her salmon oil too that really helps coats!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Here is how I started:
1st 2 weeks: Boney Meals (except Zoey who only got them for the first 4 days then we went to twice a week). I used Cornish Game Hens, Thighs for a pomeranian I had.
3rd week: Started adding a little bit of pork in addition to the boney meals, increasing the pork amount daily until they were getting a whole meal of pork
4th week: Started adding a little bit of beef in addition to the boney meals, increasing the beef amount daily until they were getting a whole meal of beef
5th week: I added organs to the boney portions again increasing the amounts each day.

Here is a sample menu:
Sunday: AM Turkey PM Bone in Cornish Hen .35oz Liver
Monday AM Boneless Beef or Beef Heart PM Boneless Pork
Tuesday AM RMB (Beef Ribs, or Turkey Neck, or Pork Neck or Rib Bones) PM Whole Prey Mice & .35 oz Liver
Wednesday AM 1 Egg & Shell PM Boneless Beef or Beef Heart
Thursday AM Ground or Boneless Chicken PM Whole Prey Mice & .35oz Beef Kidney
Friday AM RMB (Beef Ribs, or Turkey Neck, or Pork Neck or Rib Bones) PM Boneless Pork
Saturday AM Fish PM Bone in Cornish Hen .35oz Beef Kidney

Right now I am feeding a lot of homemade premade mixes as it's the only way I've gotten Zoey to eat her organs. I have beef, turkey, chicken & pork premixes that I made following a similar recipe that Flippedstars posted. And yes Raw has done WONDERS for Zoey's allergies as well as Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs) and adding Coconut Oil to her diet.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brilliant advice everyone, thank you all!!

Is it wierd i'm actually looking forward to going out and buying the meat....and cutting it up into portions to freeze? haha!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts