Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sure doesn't seem to matter what we do, how we walk, where we walk, how many treats we're given afterwards or who goes with us, Yusuke just doesn't like to walk. He'll whimper and whine during the entire trip and keep trying to get between my feet to make me stop so I won't walk on him and then he'll jump up and down at my leg to get me to pick him up. We've walked with sweaters on and off, with a collar and leash, with a harness and leash, with clipped toenails and not clipped toenails, gone on short walks, gone on long walks... And he still hates it. Have I spoiled my little prince too much?

Oh, and I don't pick him up when he leaps up at my leg. I make him walk, but he'll continue to whine during the length of the walk.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My Minky does the same thing, but you have to just ignore it. Don't even look down or acknowledge the whimpering and whinning. My Minky is almost a year and half old now and she still does that. I think in part it's because we do tend to over spoil our little ones. I know mine acts like a little baby. It will get better over time though...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Boop used to be like that. I started walking her as soon as I got an OK from the vet. I forget how old that is. She'd walk for awhile, and then she'd plant and I'd either drag her or carry her for a bit. She was fearful of car noises among other things.

She soon learned to love walking. Then the seasons changed, it got cold, and even a sweater isn't enough. Once again, she'll plant, and I'll pick her up and carry her until her shivering stops. The last few days, she's planted her feat, I pick her up, and she's not shivering, so I carry her for a while, put her back down, and she walks fine. Odd. Maybe she's discovered how to tell me she's cold before she's miserable. Maybe she prefers to be spoiled.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Scout won't walk either. I've never made him we just carry him everywhere. He acts like a little king watching the girls run around. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We found out that Yusuke does like to run though... Maybe his whining is his way of telling me to move faster or something... Because when I let him go, the little brat is gone. He takes off and can almost outrun me on a few occasions. I'm getting him a much longer retractable leash so he can run for a good distance while I maintain control of him. Maybe that'll work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sound like a great compromise for both of you! Ori walks really far once we are away from the building, she absolutely won't walk away from where we live. They are funny little things!

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you get a shorter leash and use a harness, not a collar, that will help. Forget about giving him extra room to walk or to tangle around your feet. Keep the leash short enough so he is right beside you at all times. Start to walk, give a litle pull on the leash and say come. Sometimes you may have to kinds pull him. This is how I got Teeny to walk with the leash. Once they walk good enough you can always use the extended leads if you want. The reason Teeny didn't like going for walks is he didn't want to leave home. His security is home. If you turn him loose he runs to the back door and there he sits. Another thing about the shorter lead is that they don't have a chance to potty in someone elses yard. My sheltie never sniffs the ground around her when she walks and she never potties anywhere but her yard. Here where we live that's a good thing. We live in a retired park and boy oh boy, some of these older folks can grumble about the least little thing. Anyway, try the shorter lead and good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Baxter woudn't walk at all, but because I had a harness I just gently lifted him so he was on tippy-toes and pulled him so he had to move (someone from another Chihuahua site reccomended it), it only took a few times doing that and then he started to walk properly.
The good thing about the harness is that when he stops (as he still does occasionally) you can give them a gentle tug and you know it doesn't hurt them

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
teddy loves to walk but woody absolutely hates it :( when i first tried getting him to walk he used to turn sideways and fall over on his side with his legs sticking out and just lay there :lol: i did what mybaccy did i gently lifted him a bit and pulled him and then rewarded him with a treat when we reached the end of the street. now he walks fine but it's still his least favorite thing to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts