Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I "freshen up" Pablo's breath? He has got really stinky breath-yuck! I love his kisses, but with that breath... :?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
How old is Pablo? If he's over a year, he could have some minor dental disease. He could also be eating his poop (mine do...) or have some decaying dog food stuck on his molars.

They make "doggy breath mints" and some people even give their dogs altoids...(I wouldn't). You could try and brush your chi's teeth to keep them clean and the gums healthy. You will notice a difference in their breath and it will help in the long run =)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pablo is about 2 years old, we walk him to do his business, and we have never seen him eat pooh, but I get the whole decaying food part, I am a dental Assistant, I know how to clean human teeth, but am a little nervous about cleaning his. I did go out and buy doggie toothpaste and a toothbrush! Any suggestions on how to brush? This should be fun!!!!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Same rules apply, up and down is better than left to right. Make sure you get the molars extra well. Don't hand scale since it will cause the tartar to build up unevenly. To get your dog into "brushing" position, wrap the legs in a towel with the head sticking out, and put them on their back. Now you have the "doggy buritto". If your chi is good with your hands in it's mouth, the hardest part about the ordeal is getting them to stop eating the toothpaste because they usually love the way it tastes!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll give it a try while Saturday Night Live is on, keep your fingers crossed! I hope this helps! Thanks Again, you have been alot of help to me in the last few days! You all have!

·
Registered
795 Posts
How frequently are you supposed to brush their teeth? At least like twice a day like humans or is it like a once a week thing? Oh and when do start doing that? Lex is only 8 weeks old so I wouldnt think he's ready for it, but should I start anytime soon?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
TiffsLilChi said:
How frequently are you supposed to brush their teeth? At least like twice a day like humans or is it like a once a week thing? Oh and when do start doing that? Lex is only 8 weeks old so I wouldnt think he's ready for it, but should I start anytime soon?
yep, start as soon as you can, this way you get them used to it at a young age. and the dental tech where i used to work said that once a day would be beautiful but at least twice a week is better than not brushing them at all!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The sooner the better.. I started Gadget 2 almost 3 months but I wish I would have done it sooner... He loves his teeth being brushed... All I have to do is say "wanna brush your teeth" and he goes Ape... I usually brush his teeth while lying on my back on the bed nad him sitting on my chest.. I tell him to "Open his mouth" and he does... for the first couple seconds he will lick the tooth brush then I will start brushing... he just sits there and lets me brush.... I wil stop every few seconds and give him a lick.. then he will open his mouth and I will continue brushing...

I usually brush his teeth every other day... but I have missed a day here and there.. It is ok... I started out 1 time a week...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget doesn't like anything that is minty tasting or smelly, but his breathh smells good.. he doesn't have nasty tasting breath.. I also give him those CET chew sticks they are wonderful....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We've tried those greenies, but didn't notice a difference. I tried to brush his fangs on Sat, and that didn't work all that well. Too bad I didn't have him when he was younger. I guess we will keep trying! I'm hoping we are going to get in to the vet today, so maybe I'll check and see what their fee is for cleaning teeth! :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the bad breath does not want to go away, it could be an indication of an internal problem, and a simple blood/liver panel should be ran to ensure good organ function. Since he seems to be in poor spirits and has a rumbling tummy it may not be a bad idea anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I thought, vet says he has a retained baby tooth, and that's prob. the cause, that gets taken out when he gets "fixed" so to speak. But I kinda don't trust my vet right now. :?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts