Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sure you can TRIM them. be very carefull not to cut back too far. Hold them up and you will see the excess white part and then the meat part inside the nail. DO NOT cut into or to close to the heavy part you see or they can actually bleed to death if you don't know what you are doing. most everyone and even vets get a nick too close sometimes so don't be scared just be a bit cautious. Just trim small bits at first to get confident and the hang of it.

You also will find that small cat nail clippers that work like little scissors work MUCH easier then the dog clippers that you have to slide their nail into

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yes they look too long, it actually hurts them when they are too long and the sooner you keep the vein back the better you will be. So where you see pink do not cut that part, cut before it like cuddles said the white section. Kemo has long nails and I try to cut them but his vein has grown long....so its a pain, whoever had him before must not have trimmed them often.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If you're alittle nervous about doing it yourself the first time, have your vet show you at his next check up. Once you feel comfortable doing it yourself, get in a routine of doing it with him so he'll be use to you doing it. Even if they don't need to be cut, "pretend" you are doing them and play with his feet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Since I always cut nails-I always have a bottle of Kwik Stop on hand. Or you can use alum. But you just dip the bleeding nail in the Kwik Stop and it stops the bleeding. For extra long nails that need to be shortened, try clipping just the tip every week and the quick will slowly recede. You can shorten longer nails this way. The Kwik Stop bottle goes a long ways, I think that I have had this bottle for over 5 years. It is a powder and it does harden. I just loosen a little of it up and keep it handy in the cap of the bottle for use. That way I never dip a bleeding nail into the bottle... 8)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
quikdog said:
For extra long nails that need to be shortened, try clipping just the tip every week and the quick will slowly recede.
Ya know I have been doing that thinking w/the same logic and sometimes it seems as if they never grow, I waited two weeks and nearly the same, so I never move forward (or behind) so to speak. :lol: His vein is always "right there" Plus I have to use a flashlight so it's a real juggling act to say the least as he does not like it at all!!! I can touch his paws all the time but when it's clip time.............he knows, he has to be in a real mellow mood or forget it, treats dont work either. *sigh*

·
Registered
213 Posts
well with both of our doggies Andrew (eskie) and Tinkerbell (chi) they are both "submissive" so they listen really well, and are more calm.
But i started trimming, and grooming from day one to get them used to it. I mean Andrew even lets us brush is teeth and cute his nails no problem :)
Tinkerbell is doing good too. . . I just do a little bit at a time. Although my hubby cuts their nails, I just can't handle it. lol.
I would recommend doing one nail at a time, and make it fun, give them treats, and tell them how good they are doing constantly even if they are being alittle figity. lol. :) That is what we did at least, and they are both doing really good so far. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Except for one time( don't know what his problem was) Auggie has always done pretty well with the nial trimming. I find it much easier to do when he is sleepy. Like when he is first waking up from a nap and before that wild chi energy kicks in. :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
:wave: we clipped the litters nails at like i think 5 weeks old and they are fine you just have to know the limit on how far back to cut if you let them go to long you cant clip as much because there pink (what i call the inside ) will actually grow out more the longer it goes without being clipped with bailey he knows whats going on and what to exspect so hes fine with it sometimes i take each paw at a time sometimes it takes a little bit all day to get them done. Bailey and Tinkerbell have had there nails clipped like i said since they were like 5 or 6 weeks so they know its ok i recammend starting now and doing it often. jen and bailey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts