Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my puppy for a little over a week now and she is starting to stink a little. I mean, she doesn't reek, but I miss that pretty new puppy shampoo-ey smell she had when I first got her. She is 4 months old.

My question is, when is it ok to give her a bath? And should I do it myself or take her to a groomer?

·
Registered
450 Posts
You should only bathe a dog every 4 weeks, or otherwise directed by a vet. Too frequent shampooing can mess up the dog's coat, strip all the natural oils off, or even worse, create an allergy. Puppies will have a distinct "puppy odor" until they are about 5-6 months, then it kinda just turns into a normal doggy smell. José stinks because he has a skin disorder right now that we are trying to get under control, so he smells kinda oily/dandruffyish :) You can always wipe the puppy down with a damp (not wet, just damp) wash rag, sometimes that is just enough to get some dirt/stink off em, and that is ok to do once every few days or so I would assume. Also, daily brushing keeps their coat looking nice.

·
Registered
889 Posts
petstores have scented wipes you can buy for between baths... it helps alot. there is also a spray you can buy-- you spray the pup and then brush her and then she will smell good!! :) zoey's feet smell because we use potty pads... so we tend to wash her feet every couple of days with the wipes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts