Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rushed Stitch straight down the vet I found him with his nose in the probiotics the wind had blown them off my side as all my windows are open. He's all floppy and just passing out asleep he really doesnt seem right :( The vet checked him and they're at a loss everything is normal :( even his tests were normal and he's solid again. I swear I have the worst chihuahua luck in the world with my boys :( He has to go back tomorrow for blood tests if he doesnt improve I'm so worried

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yyou must be so worried.
Its not your fault so dont blame yourself.Im sure stitch is going to be fine,you got him to the vet which is the main thing and im sure theres only a small chance they will find something in the blood tests,we will be keeping our fingers crossed for you.
get well soon stitch.
xxxxxxxx

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet wants to do tests just incase he has an ongoing medical problem the probiotics are likely to have been a coincidence as he has been a bit lathargic all day :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
O no! I'm so sorry! You must be really worried.

How is he doing?? Any news yet???

If I'm really late on this post.. sorry. I don't think I am I looked at the dates but I might be. LOL

Hope everything is getting better though!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
What are they?
Probiotic bacteria favorably alter the intestinal microflora balance, inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria, promote good digestion, boost immune function, and increase resistance to infection.1 2 People with flourishing intestinal colonies of beneficial bacteria are better equipped to fight the growth of disease-causing bacteria.3 4 Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria maintain a healthy balance of intestinal flora by producing organic compounds—such as lactic acid, hydrogen peroxide, and acetic acid—that increase the acidity of the intestine and inhibit the reproduction of many harmful bacteria.5 6 Probiotic bacteria also produce substances called bacteriocins, which act as natural antibiotics to kill undesirable microorganisms.7

Immune function tends to decline with age. Twice daily supplementation with Bifidobacterium lactis (a particular strain of bifidobacteria) in milk was found in a double-blind trial to significantly enhance various aspects of immune function in a group of healthy elderly people.8 Benefits were apparent after only six weeks of supplementation. Yogurt has been purported to support immune function, due to its inclusion of lactic-acid bacteria.9 While B. lactis is a different organism than that found in yogurt, effects on immunity may be similar.

Regular ingestion of probiotic bacteria may help prevent vaginal yeast infection.10 11 A review of the research concluded that both topical and oral use of acidophilus can prevent yeast infection caused by candida overgrowth.12

Diarrhea flushes intestinal microorganisms out of the gastrointestinal tract, leaving the body vulnerable to opportunistic infections. Replenishing the beneficial bacteria with probiotic supplements can help prevent new infections. The incidence of "traveler’s diarrhea," caused by pathogenic bacteria in drinking water or undercooked foods, can be reduced by the preventive use of probiotics.13

Most people associate lactobacilli with L. acidophilus, the most popular species in this group of probiotic bacteria. However, research shows that other Lactobacillus species may be beneficial as well. For example, L. rhamnosus and L. plantarum appear to be protective intestinal bacteria. They are involved in the production of several "gut nutrients," such as short-chain fatty acids, and the amino acids, arginine, cysteine, and glutamine.14 These beneficial bacteria may also help remove toxins from the gut and exert a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels.15

In a double-blind trial, administration of a preparation containing L. plantarum to people with acute pancreatitis reduced the number of complications severe enough to require surgery.16

One probiotic, Saccharomyces boulardii, has prevented diarrhea in several human trials.17 Double-blind research studying critically ill patients found this strain of yeast to prevent diarrhea when 500 mg is taken four times per day.18

Probiotics are important in recolonizing the intestine during and after antibiotic use. Probiotic supplements replenish the beneficial bacteria, preventing up to 50% of infections occurring after antibiotic use.19

Probiotics also promote healthy digestion. Enzymes secreted by probiotic bacteria aid digestion. Acidophilus is a source of lactase, the enzyme needed to digest milk sugar, which is lacking in lactose-intolerant people.20

Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) are naturally occurring carbohydrates that cannot be digested or absorbed by humans. They support the growth of bifidobacteria, one of the beneficial bacterial strains.21 Due to this effect, some doctors recommend that patients taking bifidobacteria also supplement with FOS. Several trials have used 8 grams per day. However, a review of the research has suggested that 4 grams per day appears to be enough to significantly increase the amount of bifidobacteria in the gut.22

Where are they found?
Beneficial bacteria present in fermented dairy foods—namely live culture yogurt—have been used as a folk remedy for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Yogurt is the traditional source of beneficial bacteria. However, different brands of yogurt can vary greatly in their bacteria strain and potency. Some (particularly frozen) yogurts do not contain any live bacteria. Supplements in powder, liquid extract, capsule, or tablet form containing beneficial bacteria are other sources of probiotics.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Whoah! Ms_P you know lots :D

If it's the probiotic drinks, it shouldn't do too much damage I don't think....my cat once managed to drink some from an almost empty bottle and he was ok.

I hope Stitch is ok and that it didn't hurt him. :?

·
Registered
130 Posts
oh my goodness..... i really really hope the best for lil stitch. i know how hard it was seeing paris like that. and how hard it is not having her now. feel better you and stitch! :love1:

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update for everyone... he seems to have perked up a lot his tummy is growling like crazy I think the little man has really bad indigestion :( we've been using ice cubes and water to stop him from dehydrating he slept for a couple of hours has been walking around my room a bit wobbly on his little legs and he's eaten sooo I'm hoping it's a really bad tummy ache. currently he's asleep on my lap

Sarah and Stitchy

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Glad to hear you don't think it's anything serious! Keep a close eye on him (I know you will)...I hope he's feeling better!!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts