Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its starting to really get to me now its getting worse instead of better !!! I cant even reprimand her a little without her peeing where she is !!. so irritating as sometimes she is on the bed . she sometimes purposely pees a little in the bed too which is infuritating .This has all happened ever since I got the cat so generally she was very good before that how can she be a submissive dog in general if this has only happened since getting a cat??

Minnie knows she is favoured as she has a bed in my room and the cat sleeps outside the room in her bed. they each have their own feed bowls well away from each other each have plenty of toys each get treats or titbits equally when given minnie is always the one taken out for walks etc.. and gets a bit more attention. I praise her when she goes outside more now and am consistant with her when she needs to go . maybe im not letting her out enough i do it about 4 times spread out through the day but she seems to do it when shes told off .
she still poops in the house a bit even after ive let her out ive got a garden now so no excuse lol .

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I would start over from the beginning in potty training and take her out every 1/2 hr, after she eats, drinks, wakes up from a nap, first thing in the morning, etc.. I also wouldnt let her back on your bed until you get it straightened out. And dont reprimand her use positive reinforcement instead of getting upset and reprimanding her, that is definately not helping and is quite possibly making things worse.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
What do you mean by "reprimand her a little" ? How do you reprimand her?
My chi Mia is very submissive and has submissive peed in the past but I've been able to get it under control because I know what triggers it. For example, if people walk towards her and she starts to roll on her back I ask them to turn away- if they keep walking to her she will pee.
"She sometimes purposely pees a little in the bed"
Have you had her checked for a UTI? I've never heard of a dog "purposely peeing a little" in a bed.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Jerry is a submissive wetter. When I talk to him excitedly in a happy voice, he wets.
I am learning to have him follow me to non-carpeted areas before I talk to him or try to
pick him up.
Please do not reprimand her at all. I think you will continue to get poor results from her.
If she could talk, she may tell you,
"I'm very frightened and I am wetting myself to show you I am not a threat to you."

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ and me cos I would never scare my dog like that if people think that here by now after being so long that really upsets me and I feel too bad to post anymore then.

BTW when I mean reprimand just tell her "no bad doggie" and thats all didnt know that would be any kind of abuse.

In future ill just ask the vet for advice thanks.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
....Please do not reprimand her at all. I think you will continue to get poor results from her.
If she could talk, she may tell you,
"I'm very frightened and I am wetting myself to show you I am not a threat to you."
^^^ and me cos I would never scare my dog like that .....
I did not, really did not, say you are abusing your dog. I was trying to get you to think about what your dog is thinking as a help to understanding her behavior.

Here is a quote from: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/puptrain.html
"When first introduced to his new family, a puppy will usually act somewhat submissive. When greeted, your new puppy may roll over on his back and urinate or he may squat and urinate. He is sending you a message in dog language which says, “don’t hurt me, I am not a threat to you.” If he submits in this manner, do not scold him or you will make the problem worse."

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
My chi is 4 years old and she pees out of any excitement it's annoying but I control it by not speaking to her in high pitched voices and I don't touch her for 30 mins at least once I get home. My vet said she would grow out of it but she hasn't yet...still waiting for the day lol

Sometime I will just say "HI BABY HOW ARE YOU" and she will let out a few drips in mybed too it sucks! I tried getting a diaper for her but even xxs is too big for her thin waste. I suppose I should just keep hoping one day she will "outgrow it" lol

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im sorry guys guess im just being senstitve as im so hating animal abuse etc.. baby love looks so innocent and adorable. xx maybe its just a chi thing but ill make sure of my tone of voice when dealing with minnie and i might keep trying the small piece of cheese bribe to distract her from peeing.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
im sorry guys guess im just being senstitve as im so hating animal abuse etc.. baby love looks so innocent and adorable. xx maybe its just a chi thing but ill make sure of my tone of voice when dealing with minnie and i might keep trying the small piece of cheese bribe to distract her from peeing.
glad you came back. good for you :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
is it a chi thing?? I've heard before they can dribble when excited... to be fair sounds just like humans when our pelvic floors get shot to pieces!!! Hope u fix it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Toby has been doing this the last 2 days. He sticks his bum in my direction and a little bit of pee pee happens. It is only a few drops but it is enough to notice.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its so differcult to not get mad when the little terror has just peed in your bed arghhh like just now !! im so angry about it she does know better!!! its ever since I got the cat im wondering about rehoming the cat due to that jealous little sod of a dog. any ideas on how to control the bed thing? from now on im never letting her on the bed again but what people dont seem to understand though is she was good as gold BEFORE the cat?? x

sorry if I seem wound up im posting in the heat of the moment.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
yes, bringing in another pet does change the dynamics in the household :(
I have some picnic blankets that are treated to be water repellant. maybe you
could get something like that and cover an area on your bed when you want her to have a short visit there.
and feed her some treats on that blanket so she sees it as NOT a toileting area...
truly, it is not a case of her knowing better. and she is not trying in any way to spite you.
it's just animal behavior. it's our job to work with their instincts to make things
pleasing for us.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Why not get someone to keep the cat for a bit to see if things change? That way if it isnt the cat then you didnt rehome the cat for no reason ;-)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
is it a chi thing?? I've heard before they can dribble when excited... to be fair sounds just like humans when our pelvic floors get shot to pieces!!! Hope u fix it.
No, it's not just a chi thing. It's a dog thing. My daughter's little rescue dog....a mutt that is SO mixed we can't tell WHAT she is, about 18 lbs almost full grown, pees when she's excited, when she's stressed, when she's nervous etc. It's better than it used to be, but it still happens. My daughter is an ex-Vet Tech and had occasion to come into contact with many dogs, obviously. It's a not uncommon complaint at the Vet's. We've rescued/fostered many dogs over the years, and we've dealt with the issue more than once. While unfortunate, it's not anything the dog is doing on purpose....no more so than a human who blinks rapidly when nervous, or whose hands shake when excited or any of the other human manifestations of stress or excitement or nervousness etc.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I am sorry you are going thru this. Can you just ignor her when she does this. (I know it would be hard). Zoey had excitement pees when she was younger. If you try to console her or scold her it will only make matters worse. If you could build her confidence it should help with her submissive behavior. Does she know any tricks? You could teach her some easy tricks, that would help her confidence. Hang in there and keep us posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts