Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey has been having some stomach issues for awhile now and it is killing me to see her in any pain. It has been a month since the last episode. It usually starts some time in the middle of the night, early morning. It starts with shaking which lasts throughout the day and then the stomach gurgling starts, it sounds like her passing gas in her belly.She follows me around everywhere, can not seem to get comftable and will not eat. Usually she will eat something by 9 or 10 at night but sometimes its the next day. I have taken her to the vet numerous times, and the vet seems to think its gas. I had asked the vet about changing her food(wellness canned chicken and wellness small breed dry) as I thought maybe it was allergies but the vet says its not allergies as she does not itch and it is not happening constantly. I am at a loss as to what to do, maybe change her food or some tests to figure it out? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It could still be food allergies even without the itching. Some dogs only show signs of upset tummies with food allergies. I would switch to something grain free or a Limited Ingredient Diet (such as Natural Balance Duck & Potato) and add a probiotic.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice. Is there any good dry grain free food(she is chunky and want to keep her teeth good). I normally give her dry with a very little wet mixed in.Should I stay away from chicken too? If it is allergies would her stomach bother her everyday? Where can I find probiotics?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
If you have always fed her a Chicken based food, I'd change. Try something with Lamb, Duck, or Venison as the protein. Kibble is always going to be tough for the sensitive tummy guys. It just goes through way too much processing, and all the different things in it just doesn't set well with iffy tummies. I would switch to all canned, and use bully sticks and various all natural chews for her teeth (no rawhide). Kibble doesn't really keep their teeth clean as many would like you to believe. Look up "FortiFlora," it's a good probiotic that comes in lil packages that you can sprinkle and mix into their food. I would use half a package a day.

EVO has some good grain free canned food.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Just looked up the EVO Venison. Looks like a good food, even better than the Wellness. Sorry for another question but I am really bad with the whole food thing. Will giving an all wet food diet make her gain weight? She is in the 5 pound range but needs to be in the 4 for her size and I am trying to get her down. The EVO review said that it was high fat content.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Save yourself a lot of money & let the vet do a blood test to see if she has any food allergies. You will spend a fortune trying different foods hoping the stomach problems stop. For now, I would give her plain yogurt & cottage cheese to calm her stomach down. You could feed her canned pink salmon. You really need to find out what's going on especially if her stomaches been doing this for a month. Something is wrong? What's her poos look like, is she playing or acting sick. You could ask for an ultrasound of her belly or something like that, but I strongly recommend a blood test. My vet charged me $143 for a blood test which a steroid shot was included in the price.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She usually has this problem once a month and it will last for a few hours up to a whole day. By the next day she is back to normal. Her poo is completely normal. She has had bouts of loose mucusy poo and we did have blood work done and gram stain and everything came back normal but that was awhile ago and poo has been fine for monthes. I will call the vet Monday and see about an allergy test, does not hurt to do it and find out.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
She usually has this problem once a month and it will last for a few hours up to a whole day. By the next day she is back to normal. Her poo is completely normal. She has had bouts of loose mucusy poo and we did have blood work done and gram stain and everything came back normal but that was awhile ago and poo has been fine for monthes. I will call the vet Monday and see about an allergy test, does not hurt to do it and find out.
Great! I'm happy to hear you'll get an allergy test. Maybe she just has a very sensitive stomach & you might have to change what your feeding her & the way your feeding her. Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
No, canned food will not make her gain weight. But just like with kibble, don't use the guidelines on the back of the can. For a 5 lb. dog you would feed her about 4 to 5 ounces of canned a day. I would split it between 2 meals. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for the advice. Bailey did eat and seems to be feeling better. Going to try the suggestions and see if they help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts