Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a 9 week old chi puppy, I posted about his crate training earlier and he seems to have got the hang of this quite quickly, which is good! The one thing we have found so far is that he is biting alot, even though he has chew toys that we encourage him with to play with and play with him with. He really loves these toys but still likes a little bite. We have tried to be stern with him but this seems to not be working. We also have had success with his peeing on the paper, and wanted to try puppy pads but he just tears them up also.

What is the best way to get him to stop this or should we just keep being stern when we catch him?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
In terms or biting this is completely normal. It is suggested that you yelp like a littermate would when he bites you but I found that just didn't work with Mylo, he seemed to want to do it even more if I yelped! So I just said a stern no. You can then direct him to appropriate behaviour by giving him a chew toy and then praise him for chewing that instead. Mylo had a bit of a thing for biting my face if we were playing so I said a stern no and stopped play for about 30 seconds. I'd avoid eye contact with him and fold my arms, then go back to playing with him. If he bit again, I would repeat until the biting stopped. This worked pretty well for me :)

In terms of the puppy pad Willow has a thing for ripping puppy pads. Down stairs she would only do it now and again so I say 'no' firmly and she stops to the point where she doesn't really do it any more. If I leave her in a room up stairs when we go out though she used to rip them to shreds so I used a puppy pad holder that holds them in place so she couldn't rip them.

Good luck. Hope that helps xox

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
All of my pups have like to bite me! I had a rubber toy (kong, fish,bone) right by my recliner, and as soon as they tried to bite me, the toy appeared. They got the message soon. Also if they really were wild, they got put on the floor!

·
Registered
171 Posts
My newest Chi Coco is a vampire pup - her teeth are so damn sharp. She rips up puppy pads too. She throws her toys around and bits them, really hope she gets past this stage soon lol

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
He is a baby 9 weeks old. He sounds normal. I have cage, and beds for my dogs but Ike's favorite is a cardboard box with the from cut out as a door and the top left open, he takes his toys in it and chews on the box without anyone getting upset, they also need chew bones, they are teething, like human babies need teething rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts