Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bean loves going for little walks around the neighbourhood and I like to take him out with me to places he is allowed to go. A problem I have though is people just picking Bean up without asking. I am a bit nervous about strangers just picking him up, one lady even picked Bean up and held him right up to her much bigger dogs face!

I don't want to be unfriendly and it is nice to stop and say hello when out and about, I'm just not sure what to say or do when people pick him up. Any suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tell them he recently picked up worms from the neighbors dog haha! That always made me put down my brother's dog dogs pretty quickly, lol.. :D

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Say no ! he's your dog ,if you don't know them What if they dropped him some people have no idea about holding dogs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Tell them it freaks him out or something like that.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
This is the first thing people should teach their children. Never, ever, ever go up to a strangers dog without asking! That's polite. Not to mention you don't know how the dog will react. Cricket is pretty friendly also. If someone just walked up to her and picked her up I would have said something. Especially about the holding her in a bigger dogs face. (She isn't very other dog friendly). You should tell them pls don't pick him up he is on his walk. If they have an issue with that, that's their issue not yours. I don't blame you at all.

·
Registered
681 Posts
when people come up to Calista I tell them before they even reach out to her, not to pick her up because she will freak out. (she wouldn't... but I don't want her dropped) If she is off her lead (Most of the time in the parks etc) they would stand a chance of picking her up anyway... But we have had a few times where people have picked her up here and I always ask people not to... I have also explained when I have asked someone to put her back down that we are teaching her not to let herself be picked up for safety reasons!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would definitely speak up. With my pups I required friends and people we knew to wash their hands to hold them bc they were babies. And I do not let people pick them up either.

With Susu he is not stranger friendly and is rather anxious but loves to go on errands. I always ask people not to talk to him, look or him and certain they cannot touch him. He does freak out. He does great if everyone ignores him otherwise the barking starts. I have found people to be very respectful of this. I just let them know that he is very nervous and they let him be.

Just let people know they can pet her but not pick her up and I think they will honor that. :coolwink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I think I just need to be much more assertive and say no. Being assertive isn't one of my strong points but there isn't anything I wouldn't do to protect my baby. Thanks for being so helpful :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yeah, being assertive is a problem for me sometimes too. I' ve had kids ask to hold Taz and I just either say no or tell them they hqve to sit down on the ground first and let me help them hold her. Just depends on how I feel about them. But I'd be pissed if some random person just picked up my dog.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
LOL...a friend of mine who breeds OEB's told me once at Woofstock (of all places) she got so tired of people asking if they can pet her dog that she was mid coversation with someone else when another person walked up & asked & she turned quickly & said "no, she bites" & continued on with her conversation. Needless to say the person didn't bother. :lol: (Most) Chi's are the type who would prefer to make the first move to a new person. Not many are like labs & are happy to see anyone anywhere.

But yeah...you simply have to say "please don't do that-she gets nervous" or whatever. I have to say that a lot, especially to kids. I hate when a strange kid asks to pick up my dogs & always say no, to just please pat. OR I'll carry treats & say "no, but would you like to give him/her a treat?". You get bonus that way--makes the people happy & helps to socialize. :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have done this...step forward so you are actually blocking the person from coming in and scooping her up...smile while you do this. I have also reached down and picked Rico up to "say hello to the nice neighbor, etc.". If I am the one to initiate the "contact" it goes better. No one is at risk of dropping him, as I am the one doing the hold...and Rico sees the stranger as friendly because I am greeting them...versus them swarming in on him...

Doesn't always work and some people are really not good with doggie ettiquete....I definitely tell the kids to always ask the human that is with the dog if they can say hello...do not ask the dog...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I can not believe someone would be so stupid and inconsiderate to pick up a dog without asking. I guess I have only had a small sized dog for a little while, but I make people ask before even petting my dogs and i frequently tell people off for letting their dogs approach mine without asking. I even made a 10 year old cry when I yelled at her to stop while running at me with a large dog on leash towards my two small (lets say snack size) dogs.

I carry citronella spray in case I need it because of lots of unattended off leash dogs in my neighborhood. If someone just picked up my dog while I was right there they will be lucky if I don't citronella THEM in the face.

Both my dogs are very, very social and love other dogs and while my puppy is still developing a personality, my older dog would probably let you cut his ear off without so much as a growl. But it is a matter of courtesy and respect. People don't go around grabbing babies out of carriages or giving candy to toddlers at the park they shouldn't do the equivalent to dogs. And if they do they need a strong talking to.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
LOL...a friend of mine who breeds OEB's told me once at Woofstock (of all places) she got so tired of people asking if they can pet her dog that she was mid coversation with someone else when another person walked up & asked & she turned quickly & said "no, she bites" & continued on with her conversation. Needless to say the person didn't bother. :lol: (Most) Chi's are the type who would prefer to make the first move to a new person. Not many are like labs & are happy to see anyone anywhere.

But yeah...you simply have to say "please don't do that-she gets nervous" or whatever. I have to say that a lot, especially to kids. I hate when a strange kid asks to pick up my dogs & always say no, to just please pat. OR I'll carry treats & say "no, but would you like to give him/her a treat?". You get bonus that way--makes the people happy & helps to socialize. :)
I love the idea about the treats! That's a great idea!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont understand people who think they can touch someone elses dog or let their dog near another dog without asking. Not all dogs are friendly. I had a 100 pound reactive dog in his old age and you wouldnt believe the amount of people who would chase me down saying my dog is friendly as I am trying to walk away from them to have them get mad at me when he would start to bark.I was told by a good friend ( dog trainer) to say we have PARVO LOL. I have 1 yorkie and 3 chi's and they are no ones training device for their dog or a cuddle bear for them. Sorry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MChis thanks for the great suggestion of having people give Bean one of his treats. I think that will work really well with him. I will be sure to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I find it works well if you tell people that they have been rolling in poop!!
People rarely want to touch them then and also you dont look like an over protective owner but a considerate person saving them from grossness!
(of course with my lot half the time they have been rolling in poop!!LOL):rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts